Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Analytics and Statistics
- An opportunity now exists to join RMIT's School of Science and contribute to the teaching and research growth within the Mathematical Sciences Discipline, in the School of Science and specifically within the fields of statistics and analytics.
- 1 x Full time, ongoing appointment based in the City campus
- Remuneration at Academic Level B ($100,465- $119,304) or Level C (123,070 - $141,912) + 17% Super
About the College
The STEM College holds a leading position and expertise in the science, technology, engineering, mathematics and health (STEM) fields. We are uniquely positioned to influence and partner with industry, as never before.
STEM College is a community of exceptional STEM researchers, teachers, inventors, designers and game-changers, supported by talented professional staff. We offer higher education programs across all STEM disciplines at the Bachelor, Master and PhD levels, and ensure our students experience an education that is work-aligned and life-changing.
Further information on STEM College in this link.
About the Role
As a Statistics and Analytics Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, you will contribute to the School's research efforts by producing high quality research publications, submitting competitive grant applications, and supervising research students in postgraduate research programs. In this role, you will maintain and advance your scholarly research and professional capabilities relevant to this discipline and actively promote the discipline by establishing and sustaining links with academic, industry, and professional communities.
The expected roles the applicant could engage in are broad in scope, but we encourage applicants to apply if they have an interested further developing and\or have research experience within the areas of machine learning and\or data mining.
Furthermore, this role will see you:
- Being responsible for carrying out teaching activities within undergraduate, Masters and Graduate Diploma programs
- Improving and providing best-of-class student experience by teaching team to enhance the teaching and course offerings within the Statistics and Analytics programs; including participating and taking initiative in the development of online courses
- May also be responsible for course coordination.
To be successful for level B appointment, you will have:
- Emerging track record and recognition for quality research outputs evidenced by publications, development of new research initiatives, competitive research funding, and industry links
- Ability to supervise higher degree by research candidates in, at least, an associate capacity
- Ability to build effective networks and generate alternative funding projects through effective liaison with industry and government
- Ability to prepare and deliver large statistics and analytics courses, at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, including online delivery
- Previous experience in industry leading statistical computing packages such as R, SAS and Python, in the delivery of the above courses
- Ability to produce high quality curriculum or course materials and the ability to undertake a course coordination role
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively with and to negotiate sensitively with students especially on issues related to effective learning
In addition to the above, to be successful for level C appointment you will also have:
- Ability to manage a large program or a number of small programs
- Ability to implement innovative approaches to student-centered learning and quality improvement
- Experience in research leadership with the ability to build collaborative research teams, mentor academic staff and manage funded research projects including complex budgets and reporting requirements
- Understanding of and commitment to financial, governance and quality management systems within a university
- PhD in Statistics or in the relevant discipline
- Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Please submit your CV, cover letter and separately address the Key Selection Criteria for this position by clicking on the 'Apply' link below.
Candidates are asked to specify level of the appointment they are applying for in the cover letter.
For further information about this position, please see Position Description above or contact Professor Andrew Eberhard, Assistant AD - Mathematical Science at email@example.com or Professor Asha Rao, Associate Dean - Mathematical Science at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close on Wednesday, 16th of February 2022.
Bring Your Whole Self to Work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
We are proud that our dedication to diversity has been recognised by a broad spectrum of external organisations. Visit our Linkedin Life pages to learn more and see some of our most recent wins.
RMIT has a strong dhumbali (commitment) to the employment, development and retention of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people within a culturally safe environment; we strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
RMIT is a Disability Confident Recruitment Team and we are happy to adjust the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us at TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au telling us your preferred type of communication and we will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your requirements.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia's immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
The COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Directions, made under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic) and as amended and replaced from time to time (Directions), affect all persons employed or engaged to perform work by RMIT.
As such, offers of employment from RMIT are conditional upon the applicant being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt and providing satisfactory evidence of the same. You can access the Directions here: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/victorias-restriction-levels-covid-19
We are a 2021 Circle Back Initiative Employer - we commit to respond to every applicant.