Associate Dean, Aerospace Engineering and Aviation
- An opportunity now exists to join RMIT's School of Engineering and play pivotal leadership role in the Aerospace Engineering and Aviation Discipline
- The 3-year Associate Dean appointment is underpinned by an ongoing Professorial position
- Remuneration for Academic Level E ($190,891) + 17% Super + 10% loading for the Associate Dean appointment
- Contribute to the School's research and teaching growth and academic workforce strategy
About the College
The STEM College holds a leading position and expertise in the science, technology, engineering, mathematics and health (STEM) fields. We are uniquely positioned to influence and partner with industry, as never before.
STEM College is a community of exceptional STEM researchers, teachers, inventors, designers and game-changers, supported by talented professional staff. We offer higher education programs across all STEM disciplines at the Bachelor, Master and PhD levels, and ensure our students experience an education that is work-aligned and life-changing.
Further information on STEM College in this link.
About You and the Role
You will responsible for:
- Playing a critical role in the School's leadership team, leading and managing staff within the Aerospace Engineering and Aviation Discipline and working collaboratively with the Dean to enable the School and the STEM College to deliver on the next stage of transformation;
- Providing academic and strategic leadership and fostering a culture of progression to enable delivery on the College research, and learning and teaching strategies;
- Leading the advancement of teaching in the discipline including initiating program improvements, improving academic standards, as well as contributing actively in research through delivering high impact publications and obtaining competitive research grants;
- Delivering, in collaboration with other discipline members, best of class student experience by embracing interactive, digitally enabled student-centered learning experiences and identifying and implementing innovative learning & teaching initiatives;
- Connecting actively with industry, commerce and government for both research and teaching initiatives with both external national and global partners;
- Maintaining and developing relationships with relevant departments of the university and other institutions;
- Participating in the on-going process improvement within the disciplines of the School of Engineering and acting as a credible role model to positively influence the School's culture;
- Contributing significantly to the governance and collegial life inside and outside of the University, consistently demonstrating RMIT's values.
To be successful in this position you will have:
- Proven strong academic leadership and management experiences and skills with the capability & capacity to deliver strategic objectives;
- Demonstrated experience in financial, governance and quality management systems within a University;
- A strong track record in publishing high-quality journal articles in discipline research areas such as aerospace engineering, space engineering and/or aviation; at national and international levels;
- An extensive track record of innovative teaching in a discipline relevant to this School underpinned by a deep understanding of contemporary Learning and Teaching theory;
- Knowledge and in-depth understanding of relevant industry and training priorities;
- Experience of developing, and leading, successful international collaborations;
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills with the ability to communicate, build and foster relationships internally and externally;
- Ability to foster culture of positive change and to think strategically about organisational priorities and objectives;
- Demonstrated ability to manage award program/s and lead program reviews and ability to sustain and grow Research Groups and Centres through the attraction of external funding.
- Extensive experience in attracting and supervising higher degree by research candidates to maximise research performance;
- Tertiary qualifications (including a PhD) in the relevant engineering discipline with knowledge and achievements that meet RMIT's Professorial criteria
- Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Please submit your CV, cover letter and separately address the Key Selection Criteria for this position by clicking on the 'Apply' link below.
For further information about this position, please see Position Description above or contact Aleksandra Besia, Senior Talent Acquisition Advisor at email@example.com
Applications close on Tuesday, 22nd of February 2022.
Receive opportunities at RMIT directly to your inbox by subscribing here.
Bring Your Whole Self to Work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
We are proud that our dedication to diversity has been recognised by a broad spectrum of external organisations. Visit our Linkedin Life pages to learn more and see some of our most recent wins.
RMIT has a strong dhumbali (commitment) to the employment, development and retention of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people within a culturally safe environment; we strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
RMIT is a Disability Confident Recruitment Team and we are happy to adjust the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us at TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au telling us your preferred type of communication and we will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your requirements.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
The COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Directions, made under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic) and as amended and replaced from time to time (Directions), affect all persons employed or engaged to perform work by RMIT.
As such, offers of employment from RMIT are conditional upon the applicant being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt and providing satisfactory evidence of the same. You can access the Directions here: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/victorias-restriction-levels-covid-19
We are a 2021 Circle Back Initiative Employer - we commit to respond to every applicant.