Associate Professor/Assistant Professor/Lecturer/Teaching Fellow in School of Film & Television Arts
DEPARTMENT: School of Film and Television Arts
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: TV/Online Programme Producing, TV Studio Production (including skills in multi-cameras, Lighting, control room), Drama Series, Commercial Film (Advertising), Post-production (editing, colour grading, visual effects).
POSITION TITLE: Associate Professor /Assistant Professor/Lecturer/Teaching Fellow
LOCATION: Suzhou, China
SALARY: The salary range for different positions is as follows:
Lecturer: 24,076-26,618RMB (with the opportunity to go to 29,759RMB based on performance and evaluations)
Assistant Professor/Teaching Fellow: 30,207-33,273RMB (with the opportunity to go to 37,011RMB based on performance and evaluations)
Associate Professor: 37,573-40,526RMB (with the opportunity to go to 44,413RMB based on performance and evaluations)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 01 Jan, 2022
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 31 Mar, 2022
JOB ID: 2263
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The School of Film and Television Arts was built on the departmental strengths in communication and culture. With the addition of a film school and training in practical filmmaking and the creative arts, the School is developing a mix of practice, research, creativity and industry engagement with the film, television and creative industry sectors in China and internationally. The School currently offers programmes in Digital Media Arts, TV Production and Filmmaking at UG level. Future plans include the establishment of postgraduate and PhD programmes as well.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Coordinate and deliver modules across a range of digital media arts, television production, and filmmaking subject areas
- Prepare content and lesson plans for module delivery
- Curriculum development
- Manage the media production output of projects within the School, both within the curriculum and in extra-curricular activity approved by the School
- Supervise and/or advise on creative projects
- Contribute to the further development of the School’s programmes
The successful applicant will have industry experience directly related to TV or Online Entertainment Production. He/ she will be able to demonstrate digital media and TV related theories and practical understanding within producing, screenwriting, multi-camera operation, control room operation, creative writing and editing, directing, sound recording and mixing, and specialized in Post-Production (colour grading, VFX). The candidate will also be a team player.
- MFA or PhD Degree in filmmaking or media production with at least 5-year experiences in the television or online media industries. Ph.D. degree holder is preferred.
- Teaching experience within a university, college or Film and TV Arts school environment
- Proficient working knowledge of entertainment producing, editing, multi-camera, lighting or/ directing, and screenwriting, creative writing. More skills are preferred, such as knowledge and skills in post-production, sound arts, etc.
- The ability to teach creative approaches to entertainment programme production, such as variety show, reality show, game/quiz show.
- Knowledge of programme producing, and digital media platform, online services, and market.
- Knowledge of film and TV arts and aesthetics
- Highly developed organisational skills: The ability to anticipate events, identify desirable outcomes and achieve goals within a specified timeframe.
- High level of verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively in the School.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application online. Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email School Dean, Prof Evelyn Li-Chuan MAI at Evelyn.Mai@xjtlu.edu.cn.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to HR Wenyu PU at Wenyu.Pu@xjtlu.edu.cn.