Assistant/Associate/Senior Associate/Professor in Translation and Interpreting
DEPARTMENT: Translation and Interpreting
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Translation and Interpreting Studies
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Senior Associate Professor/Professor (Open Rank)
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
Assistant Professor: 30,207 – 33,273 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 37,011 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Associate Professor: 37,573 – 40,526 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 44,413 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Senior Associate Professor: 45,087– 47,778 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 51,292 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Professor: A competitive salary in line with expectations for the discipline
POSITION OPEN DATE: 17 January 2022
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 18 February 2022
JOB ID: 2558
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended.
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The Department of Translation and Interpreting is an integral part of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences. It is among the newest and most vibrant departments at XJTLU. Established in September 2020, the Department brings together experts from across the world and encourages and promotes research in such areas as culture translation, drama translation, media translation, translation education, translation technology and interpreting studies, aiming at fostering a teaching and research culture of excellence, integrity and professionalism in translation and interpreting.
As an education unit, the Department teaches the translation pathway modules in the four BA English programmes and is currently developing its own translation and interpreting programmes at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels that will be attractive to both Chinese and international students. Staff in the Department supervise PhD projects on topics related to their research in the areas of translation and interpreting studies. The Department is also operating two laboratories with the most advanced equipment and facilities designed for professional training in translation, consecutive interpreting and simultaneous interpreting. In addition, the Department offers students a range of opportunities to hone their translation and interpreting skills by doing translation and interpreting practices both within and outside the University. It is working to produce high calibre translators, interpreters and effective cultural negotiators who will bring China to the world and the world to China.
Please read further about the Department’s research, teaching, and staff profiles by exploring this site: https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/study/departments/academic-departments/translation-and-interpreting/
Responsibilities and Duties
The successful applicants for the advertised positions will be expected to coordinate and deliver modules in the fields of translation and interpreting studies; to supervise students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels; to contribute to the further development of a high-quality curriculum and assessment practices in the department; to produce high quality research and publications of international excellence; and to participate in the administration and development of the Department of Translation and Interpreting, the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, or the University. Successful applicants to more senior professorial ranks are expected to also provide leadership at departmental, school and university levels in teaching, research, and service.
The main duties and responsibilities of the post holder are as follows:
- To deliver undergraduate modules in the areas of practical translation, translation theory, specialised translation, and/or interpreting.
- To contribute to the design, development, planning and implementation of a high-quality curriculum and assessment activities.
- To supervise or assist with supervision of undergraduate and/or research graduate (PhD) students.
- To produce research and publications of international excellence.
- To obtain internal and external research funding support.
- To engage with the broader scholarly and professional communities.
- To take on administrative responsibilities in the Department and/or School.
- To contribute to departmental, School, or University-wide committees or working groups as requested.
- To maintain own continuing professional development.
- To actively follow and promote XJTLU policies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Evidence of departmental citizenship and teamwork.
- The ability to adapt to institutional changes, identify desirable outcomes and achieve goals with a specified timeframe.
- PhD in Translation and Interpreting Studies, or a relevant related discipline.
- A strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background enabling contributions to teaching programmes.
- Evidence of ability to teach and design modules at undergraduate and postgraduate level in areas offered by the department.
- Proven record of ability to conduct good quality research in translation and interpreting studies, or interdisciplinary areas.
- Evidence of a clear research, funding, and publication strategy.
- Additionally, candidates seeking more senior professorial ranks will have published in leading journals, will have a track record of PhD supervision to completion, and will demonstrate evidence of successful research grant applications and networking. A willingness to take a leading role in the department will be viewed favourably.
- Experience with academic programme management and curriculum design.
- PhD supervision.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Familiarity with China and Chinese higher education.
- Familiarity with the British system of higher education.
- Capacity and willingness to engage with the broader scholarly and professional communities.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s education, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday”, depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may not be eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application online.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email Head of Department, Dr Wan Hu at Wan.Hu@xjtlu.edu.cn. Informal enquiries may be addressed to HRBP Wenyu Pu at Wenyu.Pu@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID (2558) in your enquiry.
More searches like this
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Academic Posts jobs in China
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Professors / Chairs jobs in China
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in China
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in China