Head of Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
National University of Singapore
The National University of Singapore (NUS) is seeking a Head of its Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. NUS has consistently ranked among the Asia’s top three and world’s top 25 universities.
The Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (ChBE) ranks third in the QS World University Ranking in 2021 and attracts the best students globally. This large, diverse, and prominent Department has played and continues to play a pivotal role in the RD&D infrastructure for Singapore’s and the region’s growing manufacturing and knowledge-based economies. The energy and chemical sectors are the key pillars of Singapore’s economy and Singapore is a world-class chemical hub.
The Head of Department (HOD) is a leader with international recognition in a Chemical Engineering or related field, someone with the vision and long-term commitment to take the department to new heights of international excellence both in education and research.
With the responsibility for overall management and strategic oversight of the department with a headcount of more than 150 staff, the HOD will represent and advocate for all departmental faculty, staff, students, alumni, and programs comprehensively, to optimise and uphold the well-being and growth of all faculty staff and students. The HOD will assume full responsibility for the department’s financials and resources.
The role requires someone with exceptional relationship building skills to manage a range of key stakeholders including those within the university, the chemical and biomolecular sectors, as well as the Singapore government.
This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, well-rounded and forward-looking academic leader who is looking to join a progressive and award-winning team.
Experience and Professional Qualifications
- Doctorate in Chemical Engineering or a closely related field.
- Scholarly record of excellence in education and research in Chemical Engineering or related field.
- Experience and credentials suitable for appointment as a tenured Full Professor at NUS.
- Experience in leadership and management in a reputable academic organization.
- Skills in institutional advancement and a track record of securing funding, especially from external agencies and companies.
- Strong visibility and networking among international academic communities.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Highly collaborative with strong team building skills.
- Ability to rally faculty and capitalize on the ecosystem to build peaks of excellence research programs as well as cultivate and amplify research synergy.
We invite suitably qualified candidates for a confidential discussion with our executive search partner, Korn Ferry, by contacting Ms. Samantha Soo at email: HOD_NUSCHBE@kornferry.com by 28 February 2022. We regret that only shortlisted applications will be notified.