Senior Research Fellow, Lead Bioinformatician
Application closing date 07/02/2022
Salary £42,149 - £47,419 per annum
Job category/type Research
Senior Research Fellow (Lead Bioinformatician)
Job descriptionTo lead and manage the bioinformatics section of the Precision Medicine Centre of Excellence (PMC). To develop, validate and maintain analytical tools, data analysis pipelines and algorithms to analyse genomic information from cancer specimens, in the context of clinical studies and clinical trials.
- To oversee the analysis and interpretation of vast amounts of biological, clinical and scientific data, including genomics, transcriptomics and digital pathology imaging and providing timely and accurate feedback.
- To correlate biological findings with clinical outcomes and integration with other datasets such to develop new diagnostic, prognostic and predictive tools.
- To perform data analysis in large cohorts of samples and will require providing statistical analysis as appropriate.
- To contribute to reporting, manuscript and grant preparation and writing. They will be responsible for providing support for generation and implementation of data analysis pipelines, data management strategies, as well as generation of clinical, genomics and imaging databases.
This post is available on a fixed term contract until 31/08/2023.
The successful candidate must have, and your CV/Cover letter (or application form) should clearly demonstrate you have:
- Have obtained a PhD in computational biology, bioinformatics, biostatistics, mathematics or related discipline.
- Substantial relevant research or clinical experience in human/cancer genomics, leading to publications in high-impact factor journals.
- Experience of working with Linux/UNIX environments
- Significant experience managing and analysing NGS data and other big data.
- Experience of direct managing of projects and small teams.
- Significant experience using and managing and curating internal and external databases (clinical and genomics).
- Proficiency with perl, python, bash and/or equivalent languages.
- Significant experience creating, querying and maintaining databases, particularly MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Experience with suitable analysis and plotting languages, particularly R or Matlab.
- Publication record in a relevant field commensurate to experience.
*Please note the above are not an exhaustive list.* For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria click on the 'Candidate Information' link below.
Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing various staff networks such as iRise and PRISM which help us to progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as Stonewall Workplace Equality Index and Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena SWAN award. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/
Informal enquires may be directed to: Dr Manisha Maurya - email@example.com