Research Assistant/Associate/Fellow, Orthopaedic Surgery
The National University of Singapore (NUS) invites applications for Research Assistant/Research Associate/Research Fellow for the project “Exosome-infused Device for Enhanced Spinal Fusion” in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. Appointment will be made on a 1-year contract renewable on a yearly basis, subject to performance. The Department is actively engaged in cutting edge research that encompasses basic science research, translational research and clinical applications of new technologies. We have a very strong research culture with emphasis on translating our findings from the laboratory bench to the clinical bedside in the form of novel and effective therapies. Over the years, we have built a reputation for high impact research in the areas of stem cells, tissue engineering, and musculoskeletal regenerative medicine.
The appointee will work closely with the Principal Investigator (PI) and the study team members to ensure progress and successful completion of the study on time. He/she will design and perform experiments related to isolation, fabrication and characterization of extracellular vesicles and membrane-mimetics using the techniques, such as ultra-centrifugation, mass spectrometry, electron microscopy, and nanoparticle tracking analyses. To investigate the mechanisms by which these extracellular vesicles and membrane-mimetics promote tissue repair, cell culture studies and in vivo testing in animal models will also be performed. He/she will compile the data, analyze the results, and assist in preparing reports and presentations for the project. He/she should possess experiences in related techniques and be meticulous with positive work attitude, willingness to learn, and able to work in a fast-paced research environment as a team player.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
The appointee will be working closely with the PI and team members to perform the experiments. He/she will regularly report the project progress and will be accountable to the PI on the following:
- Oversee the general management and progress of the project.
- Assist in project administration, protocol applications and safety/ethics submissions.
- Provide secretarial support to the project, such as organizing regular meetings to maintain regular communication and discussion with the team members, and collaborators involved in the project.
- Ensure the smooth progress of the project and troubleshoot if any problems independently and collaboratively.
- Provide guidance and supervision to research assistants, graduate, and undergraduate students.
- Conduct literature searches, data collection, statistical analysis and maintain good records of all the data collected, as well as assist in preparing both progress and final reports of the project.
- Maintain the highest standard of professional conduct and record keeping in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Assist in PI in manuscript preparations and grant applications.
The applicant should have:
- An internationally recognized Bachelor, Masters, MD or PhD degree from a reputable university, in biomedical/chemical engineering, materials sciences or life sciences – Minimum 3 years working experience for Bachelor / Masters; Fresh PhD graduates are welcome to apply.
- At least 1 first-authored original research publication in reputed journal.
- Experiences with one or more of the following research techniques: cell culture, extracellular vesicles, nanotechnologies, microscopy, polymerase chain reaction, western blotting, flow cytometry, histology, and animal models.
- Strong aptitude and passion for research. Pro-active, investigative, and attentive to details.
- The ability to design and perform experiments independently and collaboratively.
- Good oral and written English communication skills.
- A positive work attitude and motivated to multi-task and operate in a fast-paced research environment.
- The ability to work as a team player in a multi-disciplinary and diverse team.
Formal application: Please submit your application, indicating current/expected salary, supported by a detailed CV including personal particulars, academic and employment history, complete list of publications and conference presentations, a personal statement of research interests, and full contacts of 3 referees by 311021 to Ms Chua Li Ping at firstname.lastname@example.org
The appointment will include competitive salary (monthly SGD 3,500 – 5,000) and benefits, a research-intensive environment that is multi-disciplinary, dynamic and with high translational emphasis, and with access to state-of-the-art facilities in NUS. Remuneration will commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Department: Orthopaedic Surgery
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID: 7000