Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Real Estate and Construction
Work type: Full-time
Department: Department of Real Estate and Construction (01200)
Categories: Academic-related Staff
Applications are invited for appointment as Post-doctoral Fellow (several posts) in the Department of Real Estate and Construction (Ref.: 511480), to commence as soon as possible for one to two years, with the possibility of renewal.
Applicants should possess a Ph.D. degree. They should be outstanding and self-motivated researchers with a proven research track record and experience relevant to at least one of the following projects:
Project 1: "BIM Square": Blockchain and i-Core-enabled Multi-stakeholder Building Information Modelling Platform for Construction Supply Chain Management in Hong Kong (Innovation and Technology Fund)
- Internet of Things (IoT) - IoT sensing (Spatio-temporal data), hardware design and protocols, e.g., LoRaWAN/Nb-IoT, edge and fog computing, blockchain oracles protocols; or
- Blockchain - The theory and development of blockchain technology (3.0 and 4.0), distributed consensus and fault tolerance mechanisms, privacy-preserving information sharing, smart contract, and chain code (e.g., Hyperledger Fabric or EOS); or
- Open BIM - Open BIM standards, IFC semantics, BIM collaboration format (BCF), and IFC server. Preference will be given to those with BIM certificates; or
- Modular construction - Modular construction, supply chain management, offsite production quality control, logistics scheduling, on-site assembly; or
- Web BIM - Web BIM development, BIM and GIS integration, WebGL, JSON, Java servlet; or
- Web and Mobile Applications - Web service and mobile application development with Java, Kotlin, Object C, AR Kit, ARCore, SQL, Android SDK, C#, and HTML5.
Project 2: Collaborative Industrial Robotics for Computer-Integrated Smart Construction
- Robotics - strong background and expertise in robotics development, with experience in hardware design and circuit board development. Applicants should be familiar with development frameworks and simulation software such as ROS, Gazebo, and V-REP, and should have relevant knowledge in SLAM, robot navigation, and reinforcement learning, etc.; or
- Machine learning and AI - strong background and expertise in machine learning, and other relevant fields in artificial intelligence (AI). Applicants should have experience in deploying machine learning models for practical applications. Experience in backend/server development is highly desirable.
Project 3: Healthy and Resilient City with Pervasive LoCHs (Theme-based Research Scheme)
- Point cloud processing and 3D reconstruction - strong technical competency in point cloud processing/analysis, 3D reconstruction, machine learning and AI, and BIM and city information modeling (CIM). Successful applicants will work on 3D reconstruction of built environments using reality capture technologies such as oblique photography. Familiarity with programming language such as Python and R, or software expertise in Rhinoceros, BIM, is preferred; or
- CFD/FFD - strong technical competency in building and urban environmental simulation, optimisation and parametric design, and computational fluid dynamics (CFD)/fast fluid dynamics (FFD). Successful applicants will work on CFD/FFD simulation to understand and optimise localised comfort hubs in urban built environments. Familiarity with programming language such as Python and R, or software expertise in Rhinoceros, BIM, is preferred.
Applicants should have demonstrated expertise in the relevant research field. They should also have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, the ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team and external parties, including academics and industrial society.
The appointees will join the iLab@HKUrbanLab, led by Professor Wilson W.S. Lu, to conduct research and development on BIM, blockchain, IoT, and/or supply chain management in modular construction, or robotics for smart construction, or Healthy and Resilient City.
A highly competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered, in addition to annual leave and medical benefits.
The University only accepts online applications for the above posts. Applicants should apply online with an up-to-date C.V. and two reference letters. Review of applications will commence as soon as possible and continue until January 31, 2022, or until the posts are filled, whichever is earlier.