Tenure Track Faculty Position, Assistant Professor in Chemical Exposure and/or Metabolite Profiling
The Dean of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the Tenure Track Faculty Position (Assistant Professor) in chemical exposure and/or metabolite profiling
Workplace: RECETOX, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: Academic position with initial 3-year contract and tenure (associate/full professorship) perspective
Working Hours: full time, 40 hours per week
Expected Start Date: as soon as possible, or negotiable with respect to immigration timelines for non-EU candidates
Number of Open Positions: 2
Salary: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience
Application Deadline: 01 March 2022 or until the position is filled
EU Researcher Profile: R2
RECETOX is the European Centre of Excellence in Environmental Health Science and a coordinator of EIRENE, new ESFRI infrastructure for human exposome research in Europe. Supported by the EU Horizon 2020 Teaming project (2020-2026) it develops ambitious research and education programmes in a close partnership with University College London and ETH Zurich. It studies toxic compounds and their behavior, transport & bioaccumulation to evaluate environmental effects, assess the exposure and health risks to humans, and develop technologies and biotechnologies to break them down. https://www.recetox.muni.cz/en
Research topic and job description
We are seeking motivated individuals to fill two academic positions in the Environmental Chemistry and Modelling research programmes of the RECETOX Centre (https://www.recetox.muni.cz/en/research/research-programmes). The applicants should have a clear interest in research focused on chemical exposures and/or metabolite and peptide biomarkers of their effects. Proficiency with liquid and/or gas chromatography is essential and familiarity with targeted assays, metabolomics and suspect screening an asset. Successful candidates will be expected to develop vigorous and innovative research streams based on their strong expertise in mass spectrometry. They will be expected to build on existing RECETOX research strengths in quantitative trace analysis and engage in guiding the development of complementary research capacities for biomarker analysis and mass spectrometry data processing. In addition to leading their independent research programme, they will have teaching responsibilities, and will be asked to participate in other training initiatives.
Qualification and experience
- At a minimum, applicants should hold a Ph.D. degree in environmental chemistry, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacy, mass spectrometry, metabolomics, proteomics, or related field, and have a minimum of three years postdoctoral research training and demonstrable experience with mass spectrometry and data analysis.
- International research experience and participation in collaborative research projects is mandatory, an ability to secure research funding is expected.
- A strong record of research outputs is necessary and will be evaluated based on meaningful contributions to the field, the advancement of open science and progression of interdisciplinary research.
- Previous supervision and/or teaching experience is favored.
- Candidate should be an enthusiastic and ambitious team leader with good organizing and mentoring skills, an effective communicator and a critical thinker who can bring in new ideas.
- Vibrant international working environment and access to state-of-the-art infrastructure (laboratory capacities, longitudinal environmental monitoring programmes and population cohorts including biobanks, data bases and information systems);
- Fully equipped and accredited analytical laboratories (LC-Orbitrap & GC-Orbitrap, multiple triple quadruple MS, on-going expansion to extend capabilities for low-flow LC separations and automated sample preparation);
- Interdisciplinary expertise available in the Centre through collaboration of five research programmes (see below);
- Dynamic group surrounded by a team of international experts (active networking with leading European universities through the H2020 Teaming/Twinning Actions);
- Involvement in many international projects and partnerships (the European Human Exposome Network (https://www.humanexposome.eu/), the European Environmental Exposure Assessment Network Research Infrastructure (https://www.eirene-ri.eu/), H2020 HBM4EU EJP or Horizon Europe PARC Partnership);
- Tenure-track career development perspective;
- Employee benefits: 8 weeks of paid leave per year, health insurance, pension insurance contribution, a financial meal allowance, discounted language courses, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, university cinema discount, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone etc.;
- Support with your relocation – more information here: https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/international-staff-office-iso
- Brno provides a high quality of life (recommended as 2nd city in Europe worth visiting https://www.timeout.com/europe/things-to-do/best-city-breaks-in-europe); it is a university city with lots of cultures and very family-friendly https://brnoregion.com/work
Applicants should provide the following information in English:
- CV (European standard recommended) including summary of publications and research outputs
- Motivation letter describing candidate's research interest and experience
- Names and contact details of at least 2 professional referees
- Ph.D. certification
The deadline for applications is on 01 March 2022, or until the position is filled. A review of applications will run continuously as they are received and until the position is filled. The short-listed applicants complying with the requirements will be invited for personal or Teams interviews.
The application shall be submitted online via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application section below). After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Contact: email@example.com, Barbora Chlubná.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with the principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided. The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
RECETOX Centre hosts multiple research teams in five interdisciplinary research programmes (Environmental Chemistry and Modelling, Environmental Toxicology, Environmental Epidemiology, Chemical Tools for Diagnostics and Therapy, and Protein Engineering) and two accredited study programmes (Environmental Health Sciences and Biostatistics and Bioinformatics at the bachelor, master, and doctoral levels). It employs more than 300 people of 25 nationalities working on more than 65 ongoing projects and publishing 200 scientific publications per year. RECETOX attracts top EU grants and has an annual budget of nearly 10 million Euros.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of Masaryk University, generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Brno, the capital of the South Moravian Region, situated approximately halfway between Prague and Vienna, it is the largest university town in the Czech Republic and a modern metropolis with a long history and culture. Recognizing the university’s significant role in making Brno one of the most innovative cities in the CEE region, it continuously supports, together with the South Moravian Region, the local scientific, start-up, and high-tech communities.
Visit our Career page.