Postdoctoral Position, PostDoc II in Evolutionary Ecology
Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position Postdoctoral position (PostDoc II) in Evolutionary Ecology, Department of Botany and Zoology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Czech Republic
Workplace: Parasitology Research Group, Department of Botany and Zoology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 3-year contract, non-academic
Working Hours: 1,0 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: 2022 (preferably March, if necessary starting date can be negotiated)
Number of Open Positions: 1
Pay: CZK 40.000 per month /negotiable
Application Deadline: 6 February 2022
EU Researcher Profile: R2
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Department of Botany and Zoology is a modern centre of research and teaching in the fields of evolutionary biology, biosystematics and ecology. Its individual research groups study phylogenetic relationships and the classification of organisms, their diversity from the local to the continental level, and the ecological relationships of individual species, populations and communities in relation to both natural and human-induced changes in entire ecosystems.
Postdoctoral position is open within grant project of prof. Andrea Vetešníková Šimková, project title: Evolutionary and ecological mechanisms of the coexistence of asexual and sexual reproduction in fish.
The aim of the project is to study the mechanisms facilitating the coexistence of asexuals (triploids) and sexuals (diploids) of gibel carp (Carassius gibelio), unique cyprinid fish exhibiting dual mode of reproduction. More specifically, the project will investigate 1) the contribution of abiotic, demographical and behavioral factors, and parasite load on coexistence of sexual and asexual forms, 2) and the differential expression of immune genes and genes associated with reproduction of sexuals and asexuals.
The selected candidate for postdoctoral position will be responsible mainly for molecular parts of projects (experiment design in collaboration with mentor, optimization and realization of molecular analyses, guiding molecular analyses of students involved in project, biological interpretation of bioinformatics analyses realized in collaboration with CEITEC MUNI, coordination of molecular part of the project, results interpretation, presentations at international conferences, publications of project outputs in international journals).
Holder of this PostDoc position is expected to perform his/her work fully in presence at the Department of Botany and Zoology of the Faculty of Science MU in Brno, except for business trips (conferences, workshops or fieldwork).
Skills and Qualifications
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Molecular Ecology, Ecology, Zoology, Evolutionary Biology, Bioinformatics or related fields (finished not more than eight years ago)
- Excellent molecular background of candidate is necessary, at least intermediate level of bioinformatics and data-analytical background is necessary, biological (evolutionary biology) background is appreciated.
- International experience (studies, employment, conferences, scientific collaboration)
- Publication experience (the first or corresponding author of at least three articles indexed in the Web of Science database)
- Fluency in spoken and written English demonstrated by previous international publications and conference presentations or internships
- Good communication and organization skills, motivation for teamwork
- Flexible and independent way of organizing work with a clear focus on science
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to prof. Andrea Vetešníková Šimková, email email@example.com.
- Possibility of scientific work on an attractive scientific topic within the framework of participation in a grant project
- Teamwork with the involvement of other professional institutions
- Possibility of own organization of partial tasks of the project
- Possibility of leading students of bachelor's or master's study program involved in the project
- Presentation of the obtained results at international conferences and establishing other international relations
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs and career compatibility
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Employee benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, a financial meal allowance, lunches in canteens of MU, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, discounted language courses, university cinema discount, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare group-Campus
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- International Staff Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
The application shall be submitted online by 6 February 2022 via an e-application, please find the reference to the e-application in the beginning and end of the advertisement.
The candidate has to provide the following documents:
- CV including a list of publications (with a clear indication of the papers indexed in the Web of Science database)
- Motivation letter explaining interest of the candidate in the proposed project, previous experiences in molecular biology laboratory, and previous participations on evolutionary biology, molecular biology and molecular ecology (alternatively fish biology or fish immunology) projects
- Recommendation letters of two referees (supervisors, laboratory leader etc.) including their e-mail addressees
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!