Indigenous Research Fellow
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Arts
Salary: $107,547 - $127,707 (Level B)
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 17% super
Only Indigenous Australians are eligible to apply as this position is exempt under the Special Measure Provision, Section 12 (1) of the Equal Opportunity Act 2011 (Vic).
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
About the Role (2 positions available - Level A/B)
The Faculty of Arts is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and strongly encourages people with diverse experiences to apply. This includes First Nations people, culturally and linguistically diverse people, Deaf and hard of hearing people, people with a disability, LGBTIQ+, and neurodiverse people. If you have any accessibility requirements for the application or interview, please contact us. We are dedicated to ensuring barrier-free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. A position description is available in alternate formats if required, including USB, Large Print and Plain English.
The Faculty actively seeks to welcome and value the unique contributions of people from all backgrounds and is committed to diversity and inclusion practices to achieve our vision.
About the Role
The Faculty of Arts Indigenous Research Fellowship provides the opportunity for emerging First Nations scholars to develop a research project in the humanities or social sciences, ideally in one of the many fields in which the Faculty of Arts already has research strengths. The key goal of the four-year fellowship is for the successful candidate to develop a strategic research agenda encompassing a publications plan, competitive research grant applications (such as ARC), and engaged community partnerships as appropriate for the project.
In a typical week at work, you may:
- Develop a strategic research agenda that encompasses independent research activity or collaborative research activity
- Assist with the production of publications, including (but not limited to) peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, books, creative outputs and commissioned reports
- Participation in committees
You will have an emerging record in research with a developing publication profile with the capacity to attract research grants and consultancies.
Ideally, you will further have:
- A PhD (conferred for Level B, or near completion for Level A) in the Humanities or Social Sciences.
- Demonstrated specialisation in one of the Faculty’s fields of study
- A capacity to develop research degree supervision skills
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages and culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria* (found in the Position Description) for the role.
*For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Should you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications with current valid working rights in Australia and candidates who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia's immigration and border arrangements: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
Position Description: 0054845 Indigenous Research Fellow_Level A_B.pdf
Applications close: 31 Jan 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time