Location: Highfield Campus
Salary: £51,799 to £65,107 per annum
Full Time Permanent
Closing Date: Wednesday 09 February 2022
Interview Date: To be confirmed
We have an immediate and exciting opportunity to join the leadership team of our newly created Student and Education Service at the University of Southampton.
The Student and Education Service is responsible for the delivery of all elements of the student experience in relation to student administration, support and co and extra-curricular student facing provision at the University. This is a fantastic opportunity to join the team as this new division is developed with our ambition to provide a best-in-class student experience aligned to our new University strategy.
As Associate Director, you will provide leadership and oversight of our student support provision. The ideal candidate will need to enjoy working at pace and be comfortable with complexity and uncertainty. You will have excellent communication and influencing skills and must be able to establish credibility with staff and key stakeholders across the organisation. You must be passionate about the student experience and always put students at the heart of your decision making, inspiring your teams to deliver the best possible support. Although the post will report to the Director of Student and Education Services, you will be self-managing, and able to work autonomously to deliver your objectives.
The areas of our division that the successful postholder will lead includes:
- Our 24/7 Student Wellbeing team who support the emotional wellbeing of our students throughout their studies enabling them to make the most of their time at University and develop healthy habits to last a lifetime.
- Our Student Disability and Inclusion team who provide tailored support to students ensuring equal opportunity and a fair chance of success.
Examples of roles and responsibilities for this post include:
- Provide institutional leadership to ensure the University achieves the Student Minds Mental Health Charter
- Work in partnership with NHS providers, the University Health Service and other external providers to deliver a best-in-class support service for our student community
- Champion inclusive practice for all of our students ensuring services are provided where and when students need them and our support for disabled students is embedded across all University practice e.g., digital, estate and education.
- Ensure your teams provide efficient, effective, and professional support to our student and academic staff community.
- Act as the University’s Safeguarding lead.
- Lead on all matters related to supporting victims of harassment within the student community.
You will need to be willing to demonstrate some flexibility in your working hours, enabling you to meet staff and attend some team meetings outside of core 9-5 hours. Please note that as part of our Directorate team, you will be required to support an out of hours rota (working approximately 1 in every 5 weeks). This rota will require you to be contactable by phone for student emergencies, which occur outside of standard University hours.
An enhanced DBS check may be required for this role.
To arrange an informal discussion about the role, please contact Karen Hooper, PA to the Director of Student and Education Services (email email@example.com or phone 02380 595504).
Interviews for this position are likely to be on 22nd March 2022. We would hope to be able to hold these interviews in person at our Highfield Campus.
You should submit your completed online application form, CV and cover letter at https://jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Hannah Nash (HR Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 4043 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Please quote reference 1660422EW on all correspondence.