Postdoctoral Fellow, Departmentof The Built Environment
Duties and responsibilities
A Postdoctoral Fellow position is available in the research project that is focused on an innovation in air-conditioning (AC) and fan systems to achieve low energy cooling at warmer indoor temperature setpoints without compromising occupant satisfaction. It involves the synergistic contribution from adaptability in AC design and operation in combination with 2 levels of fan control (at the ceiling level and at the individual level).
The project involves the design, implementation, evaluation of an adaptable cooling coil and its control, using multiple sensor information. This is envisaged to dynamically respond to a wide range of load conditions, and yet maintain an efficient energy performance and effective cooling, dehumidification and ventilation requirements.
The integration with occupant preferences is achieved via a common ceiling fan system that functions to mix the indoor air as the AC supply is envisaged to be delivered with minimum ductwork in the premises and relies on the ceiling fan to achieve requisite mixing. At the individual level, desk-based fans will be controlled to the preference on an as-preferred basis.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Supporting Engineering design of the innovative air-conditioning system (AC) and control (this is led by the Principal Investigator [PI] and Co-Investigators)
- Executing procurement, overseeing installation and commissioning and systems coordination at 2 sites (NUS and BCA)
- Implementing and evaluating the performance of the AC system
- Evaluating user satisfaction and behaviour with respect to the AC system
- Project documentation and report writing
- Developing drafts for publication based on data collected
- Assisting PI in managing the project
- Oversee 2 research assistants who will help specifically with the tasks listed above
Qualifications & Skills Requirement
- A PhD with experimental design and field measurement/survey experience is preferred
- 1-2 years of experience (either industry or research experience at Masters/PhD level)
- Analytical skills in data science and statistics
- Ability to write and develop drafts for publication
- Communication skills (needed for project management and liaison with project team and external vendors)
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: School of Design And Environment
Department: Built Environment
Employee Referral Eligible: No