Professor of Accounting in Auditing
DEPARTMENT of ACCOUNTANCY and FINANCE/ TE TARI MATAURAKA KAUTE PUTEA
OTAGO BUSINESS SCHOOL/TE KURA PAKIHI
The University of Otago is a research-intensive university with a sustained record of excellence. Business education has been offered at the University of Otago since 1912. The Otago Business School was judged #1 for research in New Zealand in the 2018 PBRF round, and we also host New Zealand's #1 MBA (QS rankings).
Accounting at the University of Otago has a long history, and the Department includes some of the best teachers and researchers in the Business School and the University. We are AACSB, EQUIS, CA ANZ, CPA Aust. and ACCA accredited. Our students regularly make up more than half of the Dean's list of outstanding students in the School and are in demand by a wide range of leading employers.
Our Department is internationally-recognised for its scholarly contributions in the fields of: Accounting Education, Auditing, Capital Market Research, Corporate Governance, Financial Reporting, Carbon and Environmental Reporting, and Performance Measurement and Management. We have excellent archival databases including WRDS, Audit Analytics, 12 Bloomberg terminals, Capital IQ, CRSP/Compustat, DirectEdgar, Eikon / DataStream, Orbis, and OptionMetrics. Current faculty have published in leading accounting journals such as AAAJ, Abacus, Accounting and Finance, AJPT, BAR, CAR, IJA, JBE, JBFA, as well as staff who serve as ABDC A and B editors and editorial board members.
We are committed to working closely with iwi and Māori organisations and mātauraka Māori has become an integral part of teaching and research across the institution. Our relationship with Ngāi Tahu as mana whenua within their takiwā of Te Waipounamu and, through this, as the University's principal Treaty partner is especially important.
The role/Te mahi
The University is seeking to appoint a Professor who is an international leader in Accounting with emphasis on auditing. The successful candidate for this exciting opportunity is expected to provide leadership at undergraduate and postgraduate level teaching and academic programme development.
It is also expected that the Professor of Accounting in Auditing will maintain a programme of high-quality research and publication, contribute to the Department's teaching programme, supervise undergraduate and graduate research projects and assume appropriate responsibilities at Departmental, School and University levels.
Skills and experience/Kā pūkeka me kā wheako
To be considered for appointment to this position, candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- A PhD in a relevant field.
- A record of eminent, scholarly research and publication with evidence of a substantial international reputation and an active research agenda particulary in auditing.
- A record of active participation in the academic and professional community.
- Demonstrated evidence of high quality teaching at a range of levels.
- A record of successful supervision of postgraduate research students.
- Demonstrated capacity for leadership in research, teaching, curriculum development, and professional activities.
- Potential to generate external research funding.
- Demonstrated ability to cooperate and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, students and others, including a capacity for mentoring junior staff including research assistants, graduate students, and undergraduates.
- A collegial approach: pro-active and responsive in collaborative research and teaching, an ability to be flexible to facilitate maximum communal benefit.
- Commitment to upholding values, tikanga, kawa and traditions as guided by Ngāi Tahu, who are mana whenua in the region.
- A professional qualification is desirable.
Further details/ Pūroko
In addition to research and teaching excellence, the University is committed through its Strategic Direction to local, national, and international betterment; strong external engagement; sustainable capability; providing outstanding and unique student experiences. The Dunedin campus is ranked as one of the top 15 most beautiful in the world. The city has excellent schools, and a great array of activities, ranging from Art and Literature to outdoor activities.
This is a unique opportunity for an energetic, creative and committed individual to make a significant impression and contribution in their chosen discipline while being well supported by a collegial and dynamic Department and University.
Candidates are requested to submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Names and email addresses of at least three referees.
To submit your application please click the apply button. Applications quoting reference number 2102496 will close on Sunday, 30 January 2022.
To view all current vacancies and to apply online go to: www.otago.ac.nz/jobs
Equal opportunity in employment is University policy.
E tautoko ana Te Whare Wananga o Otago i te kaupapa whakaorite whiwhinga mahi.