HyFlex Teaching Support Fellow
This job will suit someone with good experience of teaching and digital education, who is prepared to take on challenges and be constructive at delivering solutions.
This is an excellent opportunity to be at the cutting edge of digital education.
HyFlex (synchronous seminar delivery both online and on campus) is a new focus for King’s and was introduced during the CV-19 pandemic. HyFlex offers an opportunity for students to work with each other irrespective of their location, and as such is likely to be a key element of blended learning at King’s into the future. The system consists of a series of microphones, cameras, and screens along with pedagogical guidance such that online and on campus students can attend a seminar delivery together. HyFlex is an integral component of the Education Strategy and Digital Vision and will remain important for blended delivery at King’s post Covid-19 restrictions.
The purpose of the role is to ensure the smooth running of this, providing support to lecturers, acting as a focal point of contact and helping manage the process.
• Providing induction and guidance to staff on HyFlex as appropriate, in conjunction with CTEL and AV.
• Providing in-room and online technical support for staff with technical queries.
• Pedagogical and teaching support as it relates to HyFlex and classroom technologies.
• Coordinate as appropriate with relevant contacts to ensure smooth running of the HyFlex provision.
• Understanding and digesting relevant literature
• Reporting regularly on progress made.
• Gather data on use of rooms and other relevant data to allow smooth running of the service.
• Gathering data as requested to help research into the HyFlex approach.
• Developing improvements with colleagues based on feedback and technology developments
• Providing central support as required.
• Being proactive in recognizing and finding solutions to problems.
To understand the principles in action, when the role is being performed optimally, staff and students will be having a good educational experience. Staff and students will be well informed and engaged, and the job holder will be actively solving inevitable technical, coordination and teaching challenges that occur.
This post will be offered on an a fixed-term contract for 2 years
This is a full-time post.
• Provide training to staff on HyFlex and classroom technolgoes as appropriate, in conjunction with CTEL and AV.
• Update and amend guidance to best serve staff needs in consultation with CTEL.
• Ensure appropriate signposting and support for students.
• Provide training for GTAs to best support needs of staff and students.
• In-room and online technical support for staff with technical queries, both software and hardware, in connection with AV/local TEL teams.
• Pedagogical and teaching support as it relates to HyFlex and classroom technologes.
• Conduct tasks for CTEL and the HyFlex board as appropriate, to best serve the needs of the HyFlex project.
Coordination and liaison
• Coordinate as appropriate with relevant faculty contacts to ensure smooth running of the HyFlex provision.
• Work with AV, Timetabling, CTEL and faculty contacts to ensure that tasks and deliverables are understood and completed appropriately.
• Ensure that there is a smooth on-boarding process for every academic staff member to follow in terms of choosing, starting and undertaking HyFlex teaching.
• Administer relevant spreadsheets to ensure the right staff members are in the right place, and have the right training with details from timetabling and faculties.
• Coordinate GTA support so every academic staff member has a clear way to communicate and access GTA support, and every GTA knows where to provide support.
• Liaise appropriately and be in dialogue with relevant contacts – TEL manager, Faculty education manager, academic contacts, local AV contacts - to both inform and be informed.
• Take time to properly understand the research on the topic of HyFlex and relevant pedagogy., taking time to read up on the subject. Keep abreast of relevant subject matter.
• Work collaboratively with AV and understand the nature of AV challenges and solutions.
• Work collaboratively with King’s Academy and relevant academic staff and understand the nature of pedagogical challenges and solutions.
• Report regularly to CTEL and HyFlex board on progress made.
• Gather data on use of rooms and other relevant data to allow smooth running of project.
Support of research
• Gather information/data as requested to help research into the HyFlex approach.
• 2-3 days a week providing help on central support.
• This will involve updating and amending guidance.
• Looking and writing up new technical approaches.
• Other tasks as necessary and directed by central team (CTEL).
Finding solutions to problems
• Be proactive in recognising problems/challenges and finding solutions to those problems.
• Engage productively in relevant challenges, taking time to understand them and resolve them.
• Help staff find support and provide guidance to overcome challenges.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Good ability to self-teach and to learn on the role.
2. Good understanding of teaching/pedagogy.
3. Good technical ability with digital education.
4. Degree and ideally some teaching or technical expertise.
5. Appropriate soft skills in being empathetic and a good listener.
6. Readiness to undertake both high level cogntive abilities and lower level skills.
7. Educated to degree level.
8. Teaching qualification.