Head of Admissions
The King’s community is dedicated to the service of society. King’s Strategic Vision 2029 sets out our vision for the future, shaped around five priority areas: educate to inspire and improve; research to inform and innovate; serve to shape and transform; a civic university at the heart of London; and an international community that services the world. Our ambitious Education Strategy sets out the actions that we must take to transform how we teach, how and where our students learn and how we support them during their time with us.
The King’s Admissions Office is responsible for the Undergraduate, Postgraduate Taught and Research admissions services at King’s College London and receives around 120,000 applications each year. There are over 70 staff across the department.
We are part of the wider Students & Education Directorate, a collection of wide-ranging professional services in place to support King’s students and their education. As a directorate we manage the student lifecycle from application to graduation and beyond, to ensure a coherent and seamless student experience and effective administrative processes, working closely with King’s faculties to do so.
About the Role
As the Head of Admissions (Undergraduate), the post holder will be responsible for working collaboratively with key stakeholders both internally and externally to deliver an excellent applicant experience.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced leader to join the senior management team and really help shape the applicant experience along with leading and motivating a team of around 30 staff.
We encourage applications from candidates who have experience from both within and outside of the Higher Education sector where they can demonstrate the skills needed to succeed in this role.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract.
This is a full-time post, but we welcome applications from candidates seeking a flexible work pattern within our necessary service operating hours.
The Head of Admissions (Undergraduate) is responsible for:
- Leading and motivating a team of around 30 staff
- Ensuring that applicants and key stakeholders experience an excellent admissions experience
- Working with key stakeholders across the University to make sure that King’s meets it enrolment target
- Initiating process and the service improvements to ensure the service is fit for purpose, and meets with candidate expectations
- Providing reporting to key stakeholders across the university on admissions targets.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Relevant work experience and/or education: We think a wide range of different work and educational experiences could support you to be successful in this role. Relevant work experience might include work in admissions, or recruitment. Relevant educational experiences might include higher education in a related discipline, professional qualifications or other training
- A proven track record of successfully leading and motivating a team
- Ability to analyse large amounts of data and present papers and reports with recommendations to senior management
- Constantly looking to improve and enhance the service with evidence of enhancing services, systems, policy and processes
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Experience of managing complex projects
- Able to demonstrate detailed knowledge of undergraduate admissions and wider knowledge of the HE sector and the wider issues that impact admissions and recruitment.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Project management qualification.
- Able to remain calm under pressure.
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills.
- Evidence of successfully managing undergraduate confirmation and clearing
Your application should clearly set out how you meet the essential criteria as this is how we shortlist applications. Learn more about how we recruit, including tips on writing your application and supporting statement on our website: https://jobs.kcl.ac.uk/gb/en/applying
Interviews will be held using Microsoft Teams and will consist of competency-based questions linked closely to the essential and desirable criteria mentioned here.
Although we have made improvements over the last number of years, our team is still under-represented in terms of staff from global majority ethnicities, LGBTQ+ identities, and from people with disabilities. We encourage applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to employing a team that has diverse skills, experiences and abilities.