Reporting to the Head of UX, Media & Tech, the role holder will be responsible for the UX team. You will be responsible for a team of three, ensuring the different technical specialists can focus on their areas of expertise and support their professional development in their roles. You will be responsible for the quality of the team's work, ensuring the creation of user-centric journeys and designs to bring the best possible learning experience to our students. Your expertise in User Experience Research and Design will support informed decisions based on user needs that impact learners’ happiness, engagement, adoption, retention and task success and help us shape the future of online education.
As a member of the King’s Online leadership team, you will be responsible for the leadership and strategic direction of the UX team. You will play a key role in ensuring close collaboration with other teams within King’s Online, as well as with other stakeholders across the College.
You will have extensive knowledge of all areas of user experience and an ability to apply the latest research and technologies to an effective learning experience for King's Online students.
About King’s Online
King’s Online is part of the new School for Professional and Continuing Education, it was formed in 2015 and develops a range of fully online courses and programmes. Following the appointment of a new Director, the team is embarking on an ambitious growth strategy and this is one of several new roles being advertised. You’ll be joining us at an exciting time as we seek to redefine online education and realise King’s strategic ambition of being the leading provider of online and blended learning by 2029.
The role is primarily based at King’s Strand Campus though you may be required to travel to other campuses on occasion. As part of King’s trial of hybrid working, all team members can work remotely for part of the week if they wish.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post
- Leading a team of UX designers and researchers to guide them in producing user-focused designs through research, wireframes, user stories, persona creation, user flows.
- Continued development of our design system and associated best practices and standards
- Alignment of deliverables to the product roadmap to help steer your team’s backlog.
- Promote scalability, efficiency and excellence in all our products and design processes.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
2. Experience managing a creative team
3. Expert knowledge of user interface design, user interaction design, modular and atomic design, prototyping and testing.
4. Have proficiency using contemporary digital design, communication and management tools such as Figma, Lookback, Trello, Slack, EnjoyHQ, SmartSheet, Office365 and Apps etc.
5. Knowledge of how to conduct effective qualitative, quantitative, attitudinal and behavioral user research
6. Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process with a team of designers and developers
7. Ability to deliver compelling presentations and demonstrations to communicate UX findings and get stakeholders buy-in
8. Ability to promote and enable a culture of collaboration
1. Understanding of educational technologies and their use by students and academics
2. Understanding of accessibility