Postdoc in Macroecology and Diversity of European Vegetation
Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position Postdoc in Macroecology and Diversity
of European Vegetation, Masaryk University, Czech Republic
Workplace: Vegetation Science Group, Department of Botany and Zoology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: Temporary position with a contract until 31 December 2023, non-academic
Working Hours: 1,0 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Salary: 50,000 CZK/month
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible in 2022
Number of Open Positions: 2
Application Deadline: 15 February 2022
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Department of Botany and Zoology is a modern centre of research and teaching in evolutionary biology, biosystematics and ecology. Its research groups study phylogenetic relationships and the classification of organisms, their diversity from the local to the continental level, and the ecological relationships of individual species, populations and communities in relation to both natural and human-induced changes in entire ecosystems.
- Performing independent research in the fields of macroecology of vegetation or vegetation classification based on the analysis of European vegetation-plot databases
- Writing scientific publications for international journals
- Active participation at scientific conferences and meetings (in-person or online)
Skills and Qualifications
- PhD in Ecology, Botany, Vegetation Science, Biogeography or related fields
- Less than 8 years from obtaining the Ph.D. at the time of starting the position
- The candidates who obtained Ph.D. at Masaryk University must have completed the first position lasting at least two years outside MU
- Specialist in vegetation ecology, macroecology or vegetation survey
- Experience in analysis of biodiversity data
- International experience (completed studies or previous employment at a university or research institution outside the Czech or Slovak Republics)
- Publication experience (the first or corresponding author of at least three articles in the above-mentioned fields published in journals indexed in the Web of Science database)
- Fluency in spoken and written English demonstrated by previous international publications and conference presentations or internships
- Good communication skills, motivation for teamwork, ability to create and manage international research networks
- Flexible and independent way of organizing work with a clear focus on science
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Employee benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, a financial meal allowance, lunches in canteens of MU, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, discounted language courses, university cinema discount, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare group-Campus
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- International Staff Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
The application shall be submitted online by 15 February 2022 via an e-application, please find the reference to the e-application in the beginning and end of the advertisement.
The candidate shall provide the following:
- CV including a list of publications (with a clear indication of the articles indexed in the Web of Science database)
- Motivation letter explaining candidate’s interest in the macroecology and diversity of vegetation or vegetation classification and how the candidate fulfils the above-mentioned requirements (max. 2 pages)
- Names and contact details of at least two academic referees
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!