Business Development & Marketing Manager - Japan (Singapore/Melbourne based)
Job Title: Business Development & Marketing Manager (Japan)
Department: Times Higher Education
Location: Japan / Singapore
Reporting to: Regional Director APAC
Over the last 50 years the Times Higher Education’s mission has been to help create the conditions and culture that universities need to succeed, by providing data, insights and services to the world’s universities. To help support this mission and to better serve our partners the THE commercial team is growing. If you are the kind of person who loves to travel (when safe to do so!), engage with people at every level of an organization and who has a passion for improving the quality of higher education, then we want to speak to you.
The focus of THE’s commercial team is to understand our institutional partners' and their strategic goals, whether they refer to performance in global rankings, development of their research portfolio & partnerships, growth in international recognition, student & academic mobility or anything in between. The team then look at how THE's data, communities and experience can support our partners in achieving these goals. With team members based in the UK, Singapore, Korea, Australia, the US and Canada, you will be joining a truly global team who work with hundreds of institutions with distinct and varied challenges.
About the role
As the Business Development & Marketing Manager you will take ownership of all business development & marketing aspects, working to develop & consolidate our regional portfolio of client institutions within the higher sector throughout Japan. You will focus on building awareness of Times Higher Education products, rankings, events, branding, editorial, hiring and student propositions.
This role is perfect for a passionate, hard-working individual seeking to join a rapidly growing company. Based either remotely in Japan or from one of our offices in Singapore or Melbourne (headquartered in the UK) this role provides support to our Regional Directors covering Japan. Additionally, this highly collaborative role works closely with our sales, commercial, marketing and event teams across the world.
The position will empower you to grow your strategic marketing skills, optimise your ability to drive new partnerships and build strong relationships with clients.
The company achieves high customer satisfaction levels, and thus the Business Development & Manager must possess exceptional interaction skills, clear communication methods, a strong sense of integrity, and a personable nature in order to deliver a superb client experience.
- Create new business opportunities in line with strategic objectives; find, engage and nurture universities, research institutes and higher education establishments within Japan.
- Manage pre-existing accounts engagement; understand their needs and challenges in achieving their strategic goals.
- Develop and implement marketing activities including content planning and generation. Collaborate with the marketing team to run campaigns, including translation of collateral and presentations as required.
- Stakeholder management with external providers.
- Spearhead event initiatives for Japan including the management of event logistics.
- Deliver recommendations and insights on the state of play in the higher education market.
- Assist in executing THE’s efforts in developing thought leadership and regional expertise in Japan
- Good prioritization, project management skills and ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to quickly build rapport.
- An understanding of, or experience in the higher education landscape would beneficial.
- Work experience in a client-facing role such as sales, business development, account management or client success (or equivalent) is desirable, but we will consider experience from other walks of life.
- A university degree in any field.
- An ability and passion to travel (when safe to do so!)
- You are a team player, committed to both hard work and maintaining a work-life balance
- Strong language skills in oral & written Japanese & English are a must.
- This role can be based in either Japan or Singapore.
Please include your CV when applying via LinkedIn, at the same time indicating your current and expected remuneration. Individuals would not be considered if these basic instructions cannot be followed.
To all recruitment agencies: THE does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, THE employees or any other company location. THE is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Times Higher Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We rely on the flexibility of our staff to ensure the continuity of our high standards and performance, as such this job description is only intended to be a guide to the most regularly performed duties, it does not form part of the contract of employment and is subject to amendment and change as may be considered.