Research Assistant, Data Engineer
The NUS Institute for Applied Learning Sciences and Educational Technology (ALSET) is looking for a data engineer to enhance its data collection and processing pipeline as well as work with researchers to fulfill their data need. The three to six-month project includes merging and extracting researcher-collected data with data collected from NUS systems and developing new data services. Work will be carried out via R/Python/Stata notebooks as well as through Microsoft’s collaboration environment.
ALSET is a research institute at the National University of Singapore (NUS) with a special focus on advancing teaching and learning practices, especially for tertiary and adult students in Asia. ALSET is positioned to serve as a platform to bring together interested partners in and outside of NUS to design, develop, deploy, and evaluate learning processes, systems, and applications. ALSET aims to enhance the educational experience through rigorous research and its practical application.
The job scope of the candidate includes:
- Processing and extracting data from the ALSET Data Lake according to researcher specifications and data governance requirements
- Optimising and automating the researcher-collected data processing and extraction pipeline
- Architecting and analysing activity logs for research purposes
- Conducting ad hoc data analyses related to educational research and learning analytics
- Other duties as designated by ALSET management
This description is a summary only and describes the general level of work to be performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive.
- A bachelors or masters degree in computer science/engineering/data science or related field
- Understanding of user-centred design principles
- Exceptional communication and documentation skills
- Superior organization skills and dedication to completing projects in a timely manner
- Excellent proficiency with Python/R
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Rapid prototyping and iterative design skills
- Previous experience with workflow optimization and automation
- Previous experience working with confidential data
- Previous experience with NPL and sequential pattern mining techniques (desirable)
- Previous experience analysing learning platforms in educational settings (desirable)