King’s College London is one of the world’s top universities. With an ambitious vision, effective communications with key audiences, including with our staff and students, is crucial. As Communications Officer for the Faculty of Arts & Humanities you will work to plan and deliver engaging communications to staff, students and other key audiences.
As part of a communications team within the Faculty, you will work with colleagues to identify, research, and develop great stories that showcase the expertise and relevance of King’s Arts and Humanities in society today.
You will tell these stories through digital and social media, compelling internal campaigns, launches and activities to inspire, engage and build King’s reputation for excellence.
Along with this, you will be acting as a point of counsel and advice for communications for the Faculty staff, academic research and student news. Bringing together activities, events, news and research to keep our community informed.
This is a dynamic role where you will play a key role in supporting a community of staff and students to get the best out of their time at King’s.
The posts will be offered on an a permanent, full-time basis.
The advert is for two posts.
- Produce written and rich media content that tell the story of the Faculty and university’s strategic vision; and adapting it to suit a range of communications channels such as website, newsletters and social media.
- Create mini-campaigns centred around key initiatives at the university (such as Welcome Week for new students) as well as in support of national/international awareness days/months.
- Manage – where appropriate - the social media channels and advising colleagues on best practice on scheduling, themes, reporting and analytics.
- Support and manage delivery of routine internal communications through different channels, including producing email newsletters; online meetings and forums; and contributing to broader networks and working groups where communications expertise will add value and insight.
- Form part of the core Faculty Communications Team, acting as a Lead Content Provider for the Faculty’s webpages and intranet, managing, maintaining, and creating routine content such as news, events and other information about the Faculty and ensuring this meets AAA accessibility standards.
- Contributing to and executing communications plans for new research-focused content.
- Build awareness and rapport with comms team among the Faculty community so as maximise opportunities and ideas for content and media engagement.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge and experience
1. Excellent English communication skills, both written and oral with a proven ability to adapt style for a variety of channels and audiences.
2. Good working knowledge and experience of a broad range of communications activities (websites, social media, media, publications).
3. Proven track record of supporting the development of and contributing content to successful communication campaigns, including writing with considerate tone of voice.
4. Accurate and methodical approach to work, with a keen eye for detail. Proven ability in producing high quality, accurate work with tight time scales.
5. Excellent IT skills, including MS Office, Adobe CC and experience with website CMS and social media.
6. Ability to comprehend complex situations quickly, working diligently, creatively and effectively to provide solutions for colleagues.
7. Collaborative attitude to work, supporting others, demonstrating tact and diplomacy. Ability to build effective links and relationships with a range of stakeholders.
1. Knowledge and experience of working in the higher education sector
2. A postgraduate qualification or professional experience in communications, public relations or marketing.
3. Experience of using Content Management Systems and Adobe Creative Suite (Indesign / Photoshop)