Dean, Computer, Electrical, Mathematical Science & Engineering Division
Search for Dean, Computer, Electrical, Mathematical Science & Engineering Division
Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) seeks a distinguished academic and administrative leader as Dean of the Computer, Electrical, Mathematical Sciences and Engineering Division (CEMSE). This is an exceptional opportunity to join a dynamic institution on an exciting trajectory with a distinguished President, Provost and a talented Faculty team.
KAUST is a private English-language graduate research university that has achieved great success in its 11 years of operation. KAUST is deeply and intentionally international with a community comprising over 110 different nationalities with exceptional leadership from its founders, President, Board of Trustees, and administration. KAUST has created a campus with unparalleled facilities and scientific equipment, developed a flourishing living and learning community, and attracted scholars and students from across the world who are making significant impact on creating new knowledge, solving global and local challenges and delivering innovation for economic progress and sustainability.
The mission of the Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division is to create an enabling platform and intellectual space for knowledge and advanced technologies through research that is aligned with KAUST's four thrusts of food, energy, water and the environment.
The CEMSE Division is committed to cutting-edge research to address many of the global challenges of the world today. To accomplish its mission and establish a knowledge and advanced technology platform, the CEMSE Division has served as a focal point for studies and research in applied mathematics, computer science and electrical engineering. Its scientific endeavors have brought awards, academic honors, collaborative funds, industrial patents and innovative technological solutions to Saudi Arabia and the world.
There are currently 59 Faculty members with an expected growth in additional faculty to be recruited in the coming years. The current student body is 409 with an expected growth of 15% over the next 2 years. Under the CEMSE Division, the Dean is supported by Associate Deans for Faculty and Students, an Assistant Dean, a Senior Operations Manager and its own Graduate Student Program support, communications and information technology teams.
The Dean of CEMSE reports directly to the Provost. The Dean will provide strategic and administrative leadership in all matters pertaining to faculty, students & education programs affairs in the CEMSE Division and also play a key role in supporting KAUST’s vision and strategic plans:
- Establish academic & research priorities and allocate resources in the CEMSE Division to support the university’s research and academic missions.
- Provide effective leadership, direction and support in establishing, communicating and achieving short-and long-term development goals and initiatives to promote the academic and research missions of the university.
- Develop CEMSEs strategy for faculty recruitment and development, ensuring alignment with the university’s strategy & ensuring quality and targets are met.
- Develop student recruitment and development strategies in partnership with the Dean of Graduate Affairs.
- Build KAUST’s national & international reputation in the quality of its academic programs and performance.
- Foster interfaculty collaboration.
- Ensure that academic programs are aligned with both KAUST’s strategy and national, regional and global needs and economic development priorities within Saudi Arabia.
- Oversee science programs curricula and course development.
- Support and mentor faculty in their teaching and research endeavors, and ensure their activities are performed at the highest levels of achievement.
- Other duties as assigned by the Provost.
KAUST has retained the executive search firm of Isaacson Miller to assist in the recruitment for this Dean of the Computer Electrical and Mathematical Science & Engineering Division (CEMSE) opportunity. Sean Farrell and Peter Lange are leading this search with Kahn Lee. All inquiries, nominations and applications can be made at www.imsearch.com/8298.