KTP Associate – BIM Systems Coordinator
KTP Associate – BIM Systems Coordinator, 24 month fixed term contract
Camerons Strachan Yuill Architects Ltd and Edinburgh Napier University, Dalkeith
An opportunity to review, develop and implement a comprehensive range of systems within a multi-office architectural practice, with a particular emphasis on the adoption of Building Information Management (BIM). The role will be based within the business and involve development of bespoke solutions, but the wider applicability of these systems to the wider industry will also be important, as this role is part of a collaborative Knowledge Transfer Partnership with Edinburgh Napier University.
The position will be located in the Dalkeith office of Camerons Strachan Yuill Architects (trading name of Camerons Ltd). Camerons Strachan Yuill Architects is a firm of Chartered Architects, operating from three offices across South East Scotland and North East England; in Berwick, Dalkeith and Galashiels. CSY provides architectural services to local communities, ranging from small home alterations and work with housing associations, to commercial developments, community facilities and master planning. The practice benefits from a “local business” marketing position in all three locations, leading to a large volume of work on small projects. The practice has begun to adopt BIM and is keen to improve systems around this, in order for smaller projects to benefit as well as the more obvious larger ones.
The post will begin with a comprehensive systems review, investigating what existing processes and technologies are/are not fit for purpose and why. This will include but not be restricted to defining specific problems encountered with BIM adoption. The role will then go on to include the development and implementation of a fully integrated systems implementation framework, including embedding new BIM capability, that demonstrates significant performance improvement compared to current systems.
The role will also address the challenges of forming harmonised and streamlined systems in a business resulting from the merging of three practices, which continues to operate from three offices, along with some ongoing home-working. This will include a comprehensive review of all systems and implementation of improvements to these, but will also include a programme for the effective implementation of BIM to the business, including the use of Autodesk Revit.
Who we are looking for
Candidates should ideally have
- A postgraduate degree in a topic related to digital practices in the built environment and Building Information Modelling (BIM) or other relevant industrial, research and development experience;
- In-depth understanding of fundamental BIM process, implementation, standards (including BS EN ISO 19650-5:2020) and methodologies;
- Competence in using BIM tools including 3D modelling and clash detection tools such as Revit and Navisworks;
- Experience of solving the technical problems faced by the project team and the problems related to the operation of the project;
- Experience of guiding the project team to perform the necessary quality control tests of the created or received BIM models;
- Experience of checking the delivery and receipt of digital models and the coordination process with the relevant people;
- Strong familiarity and knowledge of architectural and construction management practices;
- Excellent organisational, management and leadership skills.
Benefits we offer
- Salary: £28,000 per-annum
- Closing: 01/02/2022
The University is committed to inclusion, demonstrated through our work in respect of our diversity awards and accreditations and holds Disability Confident, Carer Positive and Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champion status.