Research Assistant, Blue Carbon
The Department of Geography & Centre for Nature-based Climate Solutions, National University of Singapore
INVITATION TO APPLY
The Department of Geography & Centre for Nature-based Climate Solutions at the National University of Singapore invite applications for a Research Assistant or Associate in Blue Carbon. Prior research experience on seagrass blue carbon is an advantage. The position is expected to begin in February 2022 or soon thereafter. The position will be for a period of up to 4 years, subject to performance review. Singapore citizens and permanent residents are preferred.
- Work within a team of researchers conducting blue carbon field measurements throughout Southeast Asia
- Collect field data on blue carbon stocks and gaseous fluxes, with a particular focus on mangrove and seagrass ecosystems.
- Liaise with corporate, governmental and non-governmental partners interested in Blue Carbon
The QS World University rankings regularly place NUS in the top 15 universities in the world and number one in Asia. The NUS Department of Geography is similarly ranked the 5th geography department in the world. See www.themangrovelab.com and www.fas.nus.edu.sg/geog.
The mission of the NUS Centre for Nature-based Climate Solutions is to produce policy-relevant science on nature-based climate solutions – tackling the challenge of climate change by protecting and better managing natural ecosystems – to address knowledge gaps, build capacity and deliver pragmatic solutions and innovations to inform climate policies, strategies and actions in Singapore and the Asia-Pacific region. See www.nus.edu.sg/CNCS.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
- The appointment will be tenable for a maximum period of 4 years
- The position comes with very competitive remuneration
- Singapore citizens and permanent residents are eligible for provident fund benefits
Interested applicants should submit the following via email to Associate Professor Dan Friess (email@example.com) by 20th December:
- Letter of application explaining the candidate’s past research experience and aptitude in relation to the job description
- Curriculum vitae
- Contact information for 3 referees
Interviews are expected to begin in early January 2022. For further information contact Associate Professor Dan Friess (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- A Bachelors degree in environmental sciences, geography, biogeochemistry or similar discipline
- Prior field research experience in geography or ecology
- Knowledge of biogeochemical fluxes
- Strong quantitative skills in R, Python or similar
- Data management skills
- Willingness to undertake extensive field work for long periods in countries across Southeast Asia
- Highly organized and proactive
- Ability to work independently
- A Masters degree in environmental sciences, geography, biogeochemistry or similar discipline
- Experience with basic laboratory techniques such as sediment grain size analysis and soil carbon estimation
- Research experience in coastal ecosystems
- Prior experience in measurements of soil carbon stocks and gas fluxes, including measurements of photosynthesis and soil respiration/gas flux
- Skills in GIS or remote sensing analysis, including the use of drones
Location: Block AS2-03-01
Organization: National University of Singapore
Department : Geography
Employee Referral Eligible:
Job requisition ID : 9461