We invite applications for a full-time two-year position as a Research Assistant.
The successful candidate will assist, support, and work with an interdisciplinary team led by the Principal Investigator (Dr. Michelle Ho) on the project “Campus Sexual Misconduct in a Digital Age (CASMIDA): Perspectives from Singapore.” This project is the first of its kind to explore the intersections between “sexual misconduct” on university campuses and technology-facilitated sexual violence and harassment (TFSV) in Singapore. Sexual misconduct is defined as any nonconsensual action of a sexual nature, whereas TFSV indexes a range of behaviors aided by digital technologies to harm women and other individuals. “CASMIDA” is a multi-methodological project drawing on online surveys, elicitation interviews, and digital data collection. The project is aimed at taking a strong and sustained action on campus sexual misconduct by transforming the culture and technologies that enable TFSV. Find out more about the project at CASMIDA.COM.
Responsibilities of a Research Assistant related to this project include but are not limited to:
- Administrative duties and day-to-day management of the project
- Scheduling team meetings and taking minutes
- Managing expenditure and participant reimbursements
- Communication with research participants
- Overseeing the logistics of carrying out field research including recruiting research participants, scheduling and conducting interviews and online surveys, and analyzing and organizing the data collected
- Co-authoring research reports, publications, grant proposals, and other scholarly writing
- Performing work on-campus**
This position carries a significant amount of student/staff/public-fronting duties, successful applicant will be required to be on-campus during their work hours **
As the project is affiliated with the Gender and Sexuality Research Cluster (GSRC) and the Department of Communications and New Media (CNM) at the National University of Singapore (NUS), the Research Assistant may be expected to participate in the life of the cluster and department, such as scholarly activities and research seminars relevant to the project.
The ideal candidate should:
- hold a bachelor's degree in any field in the social sciences, including but not limited to: gender studies, media and communication studies, sociology, anthropology, and cultural studies, at the time of appointment.
- have a strong commitment to social justice and research interests in sexual violence issues in Singapore.
- be well-versed in qualitative and quantitative research methods and analysis. Familiarity with or the willingness to learn digital research methods, such as web scraping, would be advantageous
- have good writing, communication, and (time) management skills
As this is a full-time research position, the Research Assistant is expected to reside in Singapore during the two-year term, except for vacation and academic leave. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Singaporean citizens and Permanent Residents will be given priority.
The anticipated start date for this position is June 1, 2022.
Review of applications will begin in January 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
A full application should consist of the following:
- statement of interest, highlighting the applicant’s interest in the project’s topic (up to 1,000 words)
- full curriculum vitae, including the candidate’s academic history, relevant research experience (if any), and list of publications (if any)
- one writing sample (up to 25 pages)
- diversity statement (1-2 pages)
- personal data consent form [https://www.nus.edu.sg/careers/files/NUS-Personal-Data-Consent-for-Job-Applicants.pdf]
- scanned copies of transcripts of all degrees obtained
- at least one confidential letter of recommendation to be submitted directly by the recommender(s) on Academic Jobs Online [https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/20868].
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
All application materials should be submitted electronically on Academic Jobs Online [https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/20868]
Inquiries about the position may be directed to Dr. Michelle Ho at email@example.com
** At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students is one of our utmost priority and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require significant amount of physical interactions with student / staff / public members. Even for job roles that can be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Successful applicants who are not fully COVID-vaccinated will need to abide to national measures, which may include daily ART (Antigen Rapid Tests) at their own costs and time, when assuming duties on campus. They will also be required to adhere to advisories from the relevant Ministries and NUS at all times.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Arts & Social Sciences
Department : Communications And New Media
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 10911