Research Fellow, Biological Sciences
The Insect Diversity Lab at the Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, is in search of a full-time one-year Postdoc. We study global insect diversity with current focus on taxonomy, conservation, and ecology of bees and related wasps of Asia. Key goals are to publish research papers on global and Singaporean bees based on existing specimen, literature, biogeographic, ecological, and DNA datasets within a global network of collaborators.
Core Responsibilities include:
- Coordinate with global collaborators to advance global studies of bee diversity including mapping and modelling of richness and endemism.
- Mobilize an existing database of Singaporean bees and consolidate extensive preliminary analyses to wrap-up research on urban bee ecology.
- Assist with compiling data publications required to support the IUCN Wild Bee Specialist group for Asia.
Additional Responsibilities may include, depending on interest and abilities of the applicant:
- Organise and conduct DNA barcoding work for bees of Singapore and Southeast Asia.
- Data entry and management of specimen and bibliographic databases.
- Technical and report/scientific paper writing.
- Processing of collected specimens (pinning, labelling, curating, and dissection for DNA).
- Specimen imaging using an imaging system.
- Acting as a liaison with various external agencies, e.g. NParks to obtain local and regional research permits.
- Field sampling of bees/wasps using a sweep net.
- This position is for 1 year.
- Applicants should be ready to start work in January 2022.
- Ph.D degree in Life Sciences or related field.
- Interested applicants should submit their CV, a short write-up about how this job may contribute to the applicant’s long term goals, and a sample of their academic writing.
- Please submit these to Dr John Ascher (email@example.com) by .
- Short-listed applicants will be notified for an interview by late November 2021.
Assistant Professor John Stoskopf Ascher
Department of Biological Sciences
- Prior experience in the field of entomology will help but can be picked up on the job.
- Written and verbal competency in the English language is a necessity.
- Prior technical expertise or familiarity with software used in data management, analysis (using R or GIS, etc.), and visualization is preferred.
- Additional abilities/experience in statistics is desirable.
- The candidate should be conscientious and adaptive, and enthusiastic about working with insects both alive and dead and with large-scale datasets.
- The job requires attention to detail and the ability to maintain focus when working independently.
- Prior experience with molecular taxonomy, especially DNA barcoding and molecular diagnostics is desirable
Location: [[Kent Ridge]]
Organization: [[National University of Singapore]]
Department : [[Biological Sciences]]
Employee Referral Eligible: [[No]]
Job requisition ID : 8616