Senior Project Officer
6 days left
- Part Time
- Help support the Sydney Policy Lab's Real Deal national project from West Melbourne/Geelong
- Part time (4 days per week), fixed term 6-month role
- $97K to $106K + 17% Superannuation
About the opportunity
As a Senior Project Officer, you will be responsible for bringing diverse groups of people together in West Melbourne and Geelong to build an ambitious research-action agenda to co-design solutions to the interconnected health, economic, racial and climate crisis using the relational method.
You will build relationships with a range of community leaders, train people to lead listening and research within their communities, work with academics and researchers and together develop policy which supports a fairer economy, safe climate and strengthens the local community. The Real Deal project is committed to privileging First Nations voices in this work.
You will lead and support the strategy and practice of the relational method locally. You will work with key policy stakeholders, unions, environmental groups, faith communities, community organisations, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Leaders, industry and researchers.
Please note, this is a work-from-home role with a possibility of office hosting at a partner organisations premises, with occasional days when you'll be required to attend events in the West Melbourne/Geelong area
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- recruit local community, faith, union, and business organisations in specified regions to build a participatory coalition to further project aims and funding opportunities
- Engage new and diverse partner organisations.
- support the development of strategy for the Real Deal across Australia by bringing perspective from the specified region in which this role is based
- build work stream project plans in partnership with others in the coalition, ensuring an accurate and consistent definition of project phases, objectives, work activities and tasks, timing, milestones, and deliverables for the project
- implement project governance and reporting procedures
- Fundraise and manage the project financials for multiple work streams.
- a tertiary qualification
- You bring curiosity to building relationships with widely different groups of people
- experience working to build participation and membership within and across civil society organisations (community organisations, religious groups or trade unions)
- experience in working with others to form participatory social & economic policy
- experience managing a diverse group of key internal/external stakeholders on large or complex projects and/or well-developed community organising skills
- experience in running & supporting events and actions with political decision makers and/or academics.
This opportunity might be right for you if you:
- want to build people power for the common good across unusual allies
- can bring people together on our ambitious research action-agenda to change Geelong and West Melbourne
- are interesting in working with academics and researchers to find policy solutions to complex problems
- want to help build the civil society institutions that make democracy work
- are passionate about supporting and training others to lead.
- are confident in working with people who have had a diverse range of life experiences.
Closing date for Applications
11:59 pm, Sunday 23rd January 2022
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
In addition to the standard selection criteria, please respond to the following in your cover letter:
- Why are you interested in this role for a Real Deal for Geelong/West Melbourne?
- What imagination do you have to win a Real Deal Geelong/West Melbourne? How would you build a coalition of First Nations Leaders, unionists, faith groups, researchers, community groups and environmentalists which acts for justice together, co-designs solutions and holds decision-makers accountable? What would be your organising plan?
- What experience from civic organisations do you draw from which would equip you for this job?
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Rachel Strong, Recruitment Operations, on 02 8627 7612 or by email to email@example.com
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.