Postdoctoral Fellow in Battery Production Modeling
About the position
We have a vacancy for a Postdoctoral Fellow in battery production modeling with a duration between 2 and 3 years, at the Department of Energy and Process Engineering. The planned starting date is March 1st 2022.
The selected candidate will join an interdisciplinary team with PhDs and postdoctoral staff undertaking research to support the development of a sustainable battery industry. The research within the group spans from laboratory research on battery production processes to life cycle assessment and scenario analysis. The team has developed a modeling framework that spans the modeling of individual processes, factory flow sheeting, material value chains, and life cycle assessment of battery production. The objective of the position is to advance the current modeling framework for factory flow sheeting, improve interfaces with the other model components, and apply these in combination.
The position is financed through a project involving a consortium of industrial partners working to establish battery factories in Norway. The model development and applications will be scoped to contribute to this project.
The successful candidate will be supervised by Professor Anders Hammer Strømman and co-supervised by Professor Odne Burheim. The position is affiliated with the Industrial Ecology Program and the Unit of Sustainable Energy Systems. Both units report to the Head of Department, Prof Terese Løvås.
Duties of the position
- Advance NTNUs lithium-ion battery factory model, with respect to flow sheeting and simulation capabilities for different production technologies and chemistries, as well as interfaces to cost and life cycle assessment modeling.
- Apply the combined model suite to analyze options to improve energy, cost, and environmental footprint for different battery production routes and chemistries in collaboration with the broader team.
- Support the broader team research efforts and collaboration with the emerging Norwegian battery industry.
Required selection criteria
A Postdoctoral Fellowship is a qualification position whose main objective is the qualification for work in academic positions. Completion of a Norwegian doctoral degree in a relevant subject area, or a corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree, is required. As a Postdoctoral Fellow, you are expected to produce high-quality scientific output.
Your current research is in the field of battery production, process modeling, chemical or material engineering (systems), cybernetics, or operations research with a background in chemistry/thermodynamics. In addition, you will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Good programming skills in one or several languages (e.g., Python, Matlab, R, C ++)
- Competence in mathemathical modeling, simulation or optimization models
- Experience in modeling physical and chemical processes
- Strong well-matured, and well-articulated motivation for working on the topic at hand is required. The candidates must, therefore, in their application, provide a 1-2 page letter where they describe: i) their motivation for doing a Post.doc in this domain and ii) how they see their competence and capabilities as relevant for the position
- Relevant publication track record and citations
- The candidates are expected to be familiar with key relevant publications from the supervisors
- The candidates selected for an interview will be asked to demonstrate a good ability to absorb and present material from the research frontier on the matters at hand
- Strong analytic capabilities
- Excellent written and oral English language skills
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Experience with sustainability research
- Experience from battery research and/or industry
- Competence in data processing and parsing as well as data management experience
- The successful candidate will be working in a team led by the two professors. The candidate is expected embrace opportunities for collaboration and synergies as a member of the team.
- Self-driven but also a team player, with a strong ability to work both in teams and independently when required.
- Motivated to work in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, with an interest in cross-disciplinary learning
- Have soft skills and contribute to a good work environment.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 545 300 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 2-3 years.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's-, master's- and PhD degrees.
- The candidates must provide a 1-2 page letter where they describe: i) their motivation for doing a Post.doc in this domain and ii) how they see their competence and capabilities as relevant for the position
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment.
- Research plan
- Name and address of three referees
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Anders Hammer Strømman, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR-consultant Renate Fjellheim, email: email@example.com.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-278/21 when applying.
Application deadline: 26.01.2022
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Energy and Process Engineering
We conduct research and teaching covering the entire energy chain, from resources to the end-user. We look at how energy is produced and used by humans and machines in a sustainable way with regard to health, climate change and the resource base. The Department of Energy and Process Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 26th January 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Gløshaugen