Industry Support Microscopist
- Full time, fixed term until 30/06/2023
- Unique opportunity to build on your professional networks and expert skills; and support the Microscopy Australia user community through entire project lifecycles
- $97k p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
As the Industry Support Microscopist, you will support a portfolio of industry projects at the Microscopy Australia Sydney Node, located within the Sydney Microscopy & Microanalysis (SMM) Core Research Facility of the University of Sydney.
You will work within an internationally recognised microscopy research facility with access to an outstanding array of world-class equipment to support our industry clients. As service microscopist and liaison officer, a key part of your role will be extending your working relationships with industry clients and partner organisations.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- report to the Academic Director, Sydney Microscopy & Microanalysis
- provide expert advice and research support to industry users, facility researcher users and other staff working in the facility
- actively seek new industry projects and partnerships through business development activities
- provide project management and industry research services to meet client and project needs, including performing project costing and related finance matters in consultation with the SMM administration team
- utilise a range of high-end microscopy tools to support your industry partners
- manage key stakeholder relationships and maintain effective communication channels across the work area
- identify areas of improvements and develop new strategies to meet milestones for the work area
- tertiary qualification in Engineering, Science, or a related discipline
- exceptional stakeholder management and business development skills, with the ability to create and foster strong external partnerships
- skills in materials or biomaterials characterisation, including proficiency in scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and the associated analysis, for example energy dispersive spectroscopy and/or electron backscatter diffraction, transmission electron microscopy (TEM), focused ion beam (FIB), sample preparation, optical microscopy and micro computed tomography (mCT)
- experience with, and knowledge of, image and data analysis packages
- high-level written communication skills, especially in the preparation of reports and compiling findings
- experience mentoring staff and coordinating team activities.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Closing date for applications
11:59 pm, Monday 31st January 2022
Please note: The University of Sydney will be closed from 24 December 2021 until 9 January 2022 inclusive.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Please include a CV and a Cover Letter addressing the selection criteria located in the 'About You' section of the advertisement.
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Laura Koefoed, Recruitment Operations, on 02 9036 4495 or by email to email@example.com.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.