Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Carbelec Project, Molecular Modelling
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
Department/School: School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
Salary: $95,179 - $102,163 (ARC Post Doc Res Fellowship, Level A)
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 17% super
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) is strongly committed to supporting diversity and flexibility in the workplace. Improving the representation of women is necessary in our goal to innovate and to strengthen FEIT’s reputation as a best-in-class centre of research.
About the Department of Chemical Engineering
We are a large Department with approximately 25 teaching and research staff, 30 full time research staff and around 90 PhD students.
Academic staff have been elected as Fellows of the Royal Society, the world's oldest scientific society, the Australian Academy of Science, and the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering.
Industry Engagement is a key focus, and we carry out research projects based on deep collaborations with government and business and work with organisations that provide internship opportunities for our students.
You'll find smart people, big problems, and plenty of chances to create a real difference in the world!
About the role:
This role will contribute to a ground-breaking research and development project in collaboration with industry to develop Carbelec, a revolutionary technology that will enable the capture and reuse of carbon. The applications of this technology will have valuable commercial outcomes and significantly reduce CO2 submissions.
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will tackle some of the challenges with low temperature direct electrolysis of CO2, especially understanding the fundamental mechanism of CO2 conversion. The researcher is expected to carry out DFT molecular modelling of electrochemical reaction pathway from CO2 to carbon; correlate different electrolyte and electrode systems to overpotentials; understand the mechanism of catalysts in the above reaction and provide guidance in catalyst selection.
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will be primarily responsible for the molecular modelling and chemistry mechanism aspects of the project, working within a larger dynamic team that is being rapidly assembled to optimise this ground-breaking Carbelec technology. As this problem involves multiple chemical and electrochemical effects, the researcher will use a variety of modelling and simulation techniques to aid/create understanding of this industry-focused electrolyser-based system.
As part of this role you will:
- Significantly contribute towards the research effort of the team and to develop your research expertise with an increasing degree of autonomy
- Conduct internationally competitive research, resulting in publications in high impact journals under the guidance and support of Senior Academic staff
- Contribute to teaching, training, scientific mentoring and supervision of students
- Actively engage with a variety of stakeholders, contribute to planning activities or committee work to support capacity building within the School
You are experienced in conducting research, able to work independently and also collaboratively as an effective part of cross functional and multi discipline teams. Your high level of attention to detail will serve you well in this position, as will your ability to communicate complex research concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
You will further have:
- A postgraduate research degree at PhD level (or near completion) or Higher Education qualification in a field relevant to the position described above
- Comprehensive knowledge in at least one of the following areas: electrochemistry, catalysis, and physical chemistry
- Core experience in molecular modelling
- A record of high-quality research as evidenced by publications in leading journals and at conferences commensurate with opportunity
- Ability to perform independent research with a commitment to interdisciplinary research
- Demonstrated ability to develop, administer and see through to completion appropriately designed research projects with limited supervision
For specific responsibilities and criteria of this role please refer to the attached Position Description.
You will be supported to pursue achievement in all pillars of an academic career:
- Research & Research Training
- Contribution to Teaching and Learning
- Service and Leadership
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages and culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria* (found in the Position Description) for the role.
*For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Should you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-feit
Position Description: PD_0054945_Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Molecular Modelling).pdf
Applications close: 23 Jan 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time