Job Title: Senior Designer
Company: THE World University Insights Ltd
Department: THE Student
Location: Red Lion Square, London. UK
Reporting to: Head of Design
THE World University Insights Ltd, publisher of Times Higher Education (THE), is the data provider underpinning university excellence in every continent across the world. As the company behind the world’s most influential university ranking, and with almost five decades of experience as a source of analysis and insight on higher education, we have unparalleled expertise on the trends underpinning university performance globally. Our data and benchmarking tools are used by many of the world’s most prestigious universities to help them achieve their strategic goals.
THE Student is a new platform from THE, dedicated to providing resources, advice and tools to prospective international students. This includes a wide range of Student events, including the very successful Student Festivals series – attended by more than 12,000 students in 2021, making them among the largest events for international students.
For more information on Times Higher Education please visit http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk.
Basic Scope & Primary Objectives
The role requires the successful applicant to lead the design delivery for THE Student events, using your creative and strategic insight and experience to develop high quality design solutions that support internal and external client goals.
- Responsible for design production – managing multiple creative projects from initial brief to design approval, either independently or with support from the wider/senior design team, planning and prioritising tasks as necessary.
- To interpret and answer briefs accurately, working with members of the design team, the senior management team and stakeholders within THE and THE Student.
- To ensure creative integrity is maintained and best practice applied throughout the creative art-working and production process.
- To work with brand & style guidelines – helping to develop these, additional brand toolkits and templates to help drive efficient workflows.
- To ensure user experience is a key factor when considering all design touchpoints, both virtual and in person.
- To support THE stakeholders with any creative requests for THE Student, events and, when required, the wider THE business at the line manager’s discretion.
- Managing, delegating to and being able to consistently motivate and inspire additional design staff members when appropriate.
- To represent design at internal and external project meetings, being a knowledgeable touchpoint with the ability to translate and successfully present ideas to senior team members; designers; suppliers; internal and external stakeholders.
- A positive, ‘can-do’ attitude
- Excellent eye for detail and always looking to produce high-quality creative work.
- At ease when working independently or collaborating with the THE Student or wider design teams.
- Always aware of the latest technologies and design trends and how these may be harnessed to evolve creative solutions and grow engagement
- Keen to learn new techniques; to explore and to not be afraid to push creative boundaries.
- Adaptable and responds well to changes in workflow and the challenges working for a global business can sometimes provide.
- Works well under pressure of deadlines, retaining a high level of creativity and output quality.
Skills & Experience
- Educated to degree level, or similar, in graphic design or a related subject.
- 5+ years experience in a relevant cross-channel, multi-platform design role.
- A great eye for detail and excellent design, layout and typography skills (across all channels).
- Ability to lead the creative, offering multiple solutions to a given brief.
- Proven experience of designing for campaigns and working alongside teams to deliver high quality creative assets that really engage the audience.
- The ability to work across a number of projects simultaneously, changing priority as required.
- Excellent written and verbal communications to articulate and rationalise your vision to inhouse teams (including senior management) and external partners, when required.
- Experience working with, following and updating brand and style guidelines.
- A very good understanding and knowledge of the art-working process for all channels (digital and print).
- Strong digital experience over multiple platforms, with previous experience on leading multi-channel campaigns.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign; Illustrator; Photoshop).
- A good working knowledge of After Effects would be ideal, as would the ability to create/edit short videos for web and social platforms.
- A very good understanding of Microsoft products (PowerPoint, Excel and Word).
- Working knowledge of HTML and website CMS and how to best design within their frameworks would be a distinct advantage.
- Experience of working across content & campaigns with an international audience, with multiple language translations would also be beneficial.
The World University Insights Ltd relies on the flexibility of its staff to ensure the continuity of the high standards and performance, as such this job description is only intended to be a guide to the most regularly performed duties, it does not form part of the contract of employment and is subject to amendment and change as may be considered.
Apply for Senior Designer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly