[AY 22-23] Faculty of Arts and Sciences
FACULTY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
The Faculty of Arts and Sciences is the first home for all students enrolled at VinUniversity as they embark on a nuanced journey of self-discovery in a state-of-the-art tertiary education designed in collaboration with leading universities in the world, top minds in Vietnam and passionate stakeholders. In this sense, General Education at VinUniversity is essentially a “gateway” between past and future, theory and practice, and local and global. This is where students, faculty and staff collectively take the first step towards realizing VinUniversity’s mission of contributing to the betterment of Vietnam and the world.
Our Faculty of Arts and Sciences takes inspiration from the three principles of education reform, namely “dan toc” [nation], “khoa hoc” [science] and “dai chung” [people] put forth by Vietnam’s longest-serving Minister of Education, the late Professor Nguyen Van Huyen, who strived to develop an education system to build a modern nation for all Vietnamese citizens in the trying times of post-independence Vietnam.
For the betterment of Vietnam as a nation and to contribute to the world as members of the global community, General Education at VinUniversity begins with developing in each individual a conscientious and critical understanding of the self, Vietnam and the world. To develop a reflexive understanding of the self, we encourage students to step out of their comfort zone, self-cultivate an open mind, and most importantly, to dare to dream! Yet, to be able to do so means developing a grounded and critical understanding of the past and present of Vietnam, how we understand ourselves and how others try to understand us, and finally, how we could together look to the future. To find our place in the world and to have a voice in how our future could be, General Education at VinUniversity is thoroughly infused with a global-local approach in the design of class-based courses and co-curricular programs. We approach the global with a view that “digital is the new global” and ask, “What are the possibilities we may uncover in the age of globalization underlined by digital infusion?”
To fully explore possibilities of how the digital could change the world and help us fulfill the primary mission of VinUniversity, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at VinUni aspires to become a model bona-fide interdisciplinary core curriculum in Vietnam. Taking onboard experiences in multi-disciplinary, cross-disciplinary, and interdisciplinary research and teaching from across the world and different intellectual traditions, we adopt a grounded but innovative approach in the design of courses in collaboration with faculty, students, and relevant stakeholders in state and society. Serving as the core curriculum for all VinUniversity students, each course in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences is designed to plant the seeds that will help students ask “big questions” about past and present, to develop the capacity to learn new skills and to bridge the gap between theory and practice. Our co-curricular programs, planned in collaboration with a wide of range external stakeholders, extend beyond the initial year to take students out of the classrooms to fully reap the benefits of experiential learning.
The Faculty of Arts and Sciences is the place where you will encounter like-minded passionate and innovative academics who are devoted to education and grounded in interdisciplinary, socially engaged, and global/digital research specialization.
To competently serve society with heart and mind, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences seeks to begin cultivating in each student six identified attributes, namely: Character, Competence, Critical Thinking, Leadership, Entrepreneurship, and National Pride-Global Awareness. Right from the beginning, we encourage students to ask the questions, “what could you do for society” and “how would you go about actualizing your goals?” To enable students to be a part of VinUniversity’s founding mission, we seek to develop future leaders who take pride in their national heritage, are global-minded, have character, and possess an entrepreneurial spirit. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences is where this journey begins.
The Faculty of Arts and Sciences at VinUniversity is recruiting passionate and innovative faculty members at all ranks:
- Associate Professors,
- Assistant Professors.
- Senior Lecturers,
- and Lecturers
in all major fields including, but not limited to:
- Communications & Design
- Vietnamese Studies
- Philosophy/ Asian Philosophy
- Political Science
Full-time faculty members of Faculty of Arts and Sciences will have three major responsibilities: teaching, research, and, service. The workload allocation will depend on the faculty ranking and faculty track in alignment with generally accepted international standards and practices at universities.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Have a master/doctorate degree in related fields from established prestigious universities.
- Have a strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background enabling contributions to teaching programs.
- Have good experience in experiential leaning methods such as TBL (Team-based Learning), PBL (Project-based Learning), ABL (Action-based Learning) and can successfully employ them in all courses.
- Have a strong record of research accomplishments or potential for future accomplishments (research track).
- Have a high spirit and strong passion for education; demonstrate distinction and/or strong potential in research; Agile to embrace changes and take on new challenges; open-minded to new and different environments; team-player willing to contribute to organizational goals and initiatives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
The salary and benefits are internationally competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply via https://apply.interfolio.com/100529 and submit (1) a cover letter, (2) a resume, (3) a teaching statement, (4) a research statement; and (5) two recommendation letters and other relevant qualifications. In doing so, remember the following:
- Indicate in your cover letter which field, rank and track you are applying for.
- Your resume should include a list of all courses you have taught with the teaching/student evaluation outcomes.
- Your teaching statement should specify teaching methods you have used in your courses and plan to use in your future courses (i.e., lecture, cases, flipped classroom, team-based learning, service-based learning, community-based learning, etc.).
- Your research statement should include the primary theme(s) of your past and current research and the theme(s) of your intended future research.
Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning April 2022 and will continue until the positions are filled. The desired start date is August 2022, subject to negotiation, to allow sufficient time for your course preparation for the upcoming fall semester.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Work permit: VinUniversity will assist in and provide advice for obtaining the necessary paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, work permit, insurance, etc.). However, it is your responsibility to ensure that you can satisfy all the paper requirements in a timely manner.
- According to Vietnamese Law, expatriates are required to submit all necessary documents for a work permit on the first day in Vietnam. For more information about the necessary documents, please refer to the information in this link.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a very comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.
VinUniversity (VinUni: https://vinuni.edu.vn/) is the first private, not-for-profit Vietnamese university established based on international standards. The university integrates the models of excellent international universities with the unique cultural and economic characteristics of Vietnam, to make a breakthrough in Vietnamese higher education and to become a world-class university.
VinUni has strategic collaborations with the world’s leading universities, including Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. These universities have become close advisors and crucial enablers in establishing the three colleges at VinUni: College of Business and Management, College of Engineering and Computer Science, and College of Health Sciences. Every aspect of the University: its curricula, research, faculty, student body, facilities, and campus life, is being developed to meet the highest standards set by the world’s leading accrediting and ranking organizations, such as ABET, AACSB, Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) and Times Higher Education (THE).
VinUni’s founding benefactor Vingroup is one of the biggest private conglomerates in Asia with the largest market capitalization value in Vietnam. As a multisector corporation, Vingroup focuses on three main areas: Technology; Industrials; and Property Services. VinUni is proud to be a part of the Vingroup ecosystem, giving its students opportunities to connect with several high quality research institutes (such as VinAI, VinBrain, and Vin BigData), pioneering industrial enterprises (such as VinSmart and VinFast), and leading Vietnamese companies (such as Vinpearl, Vincom Retail, Vinmec, and Vinhomes)
More searches like this
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Academic Posts jobs in Vietnam
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Professors / Chairs jobs in Vietnam
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Vietnam
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Vietnam