Postdoctoral Fellow in Thermomechanical Metal forming and Aluminium Extrusion
About the position
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, has a vacancy for a PostDoc position within the field of thermomechanical metal forming and aluminium extrusion of aluminium based on increasing post-consumer scrap contents.
The postdoctoral fellowship position is a temporary position where the main goal is to qualify for work in senior academic positions.
We are looking for someone to be part of a research group investigating how increasing post-consumer scrap contents in aluminium affect manufacturing processes, mechanical properties of the material and end-product as well as lifecycle performance.
You will be part of the recent research project, AluGreen, owned by Norsk Hydro ASA and funded by the Norwegian Research Council and a consortium of 16 industry partners. Moreover, this project is aligned to long-term research programs such as SFI PhysMet and NAPIC (NTNU Aluminium Product Innovation Centre).
You will report to Professor.
Duties of the position
- perform theoretical and experimental work related to advanced metal forming, thermomechanical processes, and manufacturing
- support PhD students and MSc students working in the AluGreen research project as well as the research group
- contribute to project meetings, workshops, seminars, etc.
- conduct academic writing and publish project results in acknowledged peer-reviewed journals
Required selection criteria
- You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD
- You must have a professionally relevant background within one or several of the following subject areas: Mechanical and industrial engineering, Materials technology, Physical metallurgy
- Good English language skills, written and oral
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Experience from theoretical and experimental thermomechanical processes like aluminium extrusion, understanding the relationship between tool design, friction, temperature, flow stress and the effect of cooling on final product geometry tolerances
- being able to conduct FE analysis of extrusion/complex forming processes by tools like Deform, Abaqus, Hyperextrude etc, and thereby optimize cross section geometry, process parameters and product quality
- understand basic principles of flexible manufacturing and how to apply such to manufacturing of large-scale aluminium structures.
- The ability to conduct high quality research and publish results in acknowledged peer-reviewed journals is an asset
- programming skills for developing design codes to connect different material, process and product models for multicriteria decision making
- Norwegian language skills will be beneficial
- creative, with a strong ability to work goal-oriented and independently
- good skills to deliver oral and written presentations of research results
- enjoy interdisciplinary research and take keen interest in working in project teams
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 545 300 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 2 years.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding through the Green Platform project AluGreen.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- A cover letter (including motivation and why you think you are the right person for this position)
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's-, master's- and PhD degrees.
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 items)
- Name and address of three referees
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position please contact Professor Geir Ringen, telephone 41679834, email email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR Consultant Linn-Cecilie Felle, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-275/21 when applying.
Application deadline: 09.01.2022
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
We educate graduates who can create new products, operate and maintain products, and manage projects. The Department has a variety of bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes. We conduct wide-ranging research in fields such as technology, energy, product quality and development, and productivity. The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 9th January 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Institutt for maskinteknikk og produksjon