Research Support Librarian
Research Support Librarian
Library and Learning Resources
Location: Curzon Building
Salary: £35,014 to £38,059 per annum
Full Time / Permanent
Posted On: Thursday 11 November 2021
Closing Date: Wednesday 19 January 2022
Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study right in the heart of the city. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a new post of Research Support Librarian within Library & Learning Resources (L&LR).
We are looking for a professional Librarian with proven skills and experience in supporting postgraduate research students and academic research staff who will lead in initiatives to help drive forward new services and the implementation of a research support plan.
This is an exciting time to join the University and the Department of Library & Learning Resources in particular. BCU is currently undergoing significant growth in its research activities and this Research Support Librarian post will enable Library & Learning Resources to make a much bigger contribution to research support and the general BCU research environment.
The successful candidate will be working within a team of Learning Teaching & Research Services (LTRS) Librarians and also a Library Content Developer. In addition to working with LTRS librarians, the successful candidate will also work with other L&LR colleagues to ensure the services and collections remain relevant and visible to researchers. The successful candidate will also be working with the Research Office with the aim to strengthen partnership working for both Library & Learning Resources and Research Innovation and Enterprise.
The main responsibility for the Research Support Librarian role is:
- Responsible for the development and delivery of research support services, including the provision of information literacy skills training to post graduate researchers, early career researchers, researchers and other L&LR staff, working with and through colleagues in the Learning, Teaching and Research Services team.
- Responsibility for the development and implementation of academic engagement strategies is a key aspect of this area.
- Ensuring Library and Learning Resources services and collections remain relevant and visible to researchers (working with Collections and Engagement team).
- Responsible for driving forward new services, for example bibliometrics to support our research community.
- Leading initiatives which place Library research services in key customer journeys and through high profile digital campaigns.
- Responsible for responding to the PRES survey outcomes working with colleagues
- Providing specific advice and support to researchers about the library and its services and have a working knowledge of open scholarship
- Understand and champion the needs of researchers in the development of library and learning resources services (with line manager)
- Lead on relevant objectives in implementation of the L&LR Research Support Plan
- Liaise and work closely with other research units across the University to communicate the service offer and initiate joint projects.
- Train L&LR staff on research support and raise awareness of current research library environment across the department
You will be educated to degree level and should be able to demonstrate your portfolio of experience at interview.
The post holder should have:
- Experience of managing and influencing
- Experience in contributing to decision making
- Knowledge of research support developments in the higher education sector
- Experience of supporting researchers
- Fellowship of Advance HE or similar accreditation is desirable
- The ability to cope with an environment of change
- The ability to innovate
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A high degree of organisational ability
- Excellent negotiating skills
- Experience of supporting the development and delivery of learning, teaching and research support services, preferably within the higher education library sector
- Demonstrable experience in the development of training materials and the delivery of information skills training sessions
Our goal is to inspire all our users on their academic journey through the provision of appropriate resources, Information and Digital Literacy skills embedded in the curriculum, and support at the point of need, and via a variety of study environments.
We are currently in the process of scaling up our digital resources and further expanding our blended delivery of learning to support accessible and on demand learning. Student Support and achievement is at the centre of everything we do.
Our staff and student community is defined by our core values, which outline who we are as a University and how we will work with each other. Our core values are Excellence, People focused, Partnership working and Fairness and integrity.
For more information about the role, please contact Christiana.Titahmboh@BCU.ac.uk.
Interviews are scheduled to take place on 4th , 8th or 11th Feb.
Candidates who have previously applied for this position do not need to submit a new application.
The University is committed to internationalism and diversity and welcomes applications from all countries, faiths and backgrounds.
It is each individual successful applicants responsibility to ensure that they have permission to work in the UK. Some applicants may require sponsorship from the University and a visa from UKVI to take up the role if successful. More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
Some roles are not capable of sponsorship because they do not meet the UKVI criteria relating to skill and salary level. If you are unsure as to whether you would require sponsorship if successful, or whether the role is capable of sponsorship, please contact us: RTinbox@bcu.ac.uk
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.