Lecturer/ Associate Professor/ Professor in Industrial Design
School: Design School
Department: Department of Industrial Design
Position Title: Lecturer/ Associate Professor/ Professor in Industrial Design
Location: Suzhou Campus
Salary: A competitive salary line with expectations for the discipline and commensurate with rank and experience.
Position Open Date: 16th December 2021
Advertisement Closing Date: 30th June 2022(early submission of applications is encouraged)
Job ID: 2392
Contract Type: Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The Department of Industrial Design at Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University was established in 2013 with the aim of training a new generation of industrial and product designers able to tackle the challenges associated with China's ongoing social, cultural, and economic transformation. With the announcement of China’s plan to achieve carbon neutrality by 2060, in accordance with its 14th Five-Year Plan, the Department of Industrial Design has positioned itself at the forefront of Chinese creative industries by training design innovators and leaders of the transition to a de-carbonized circular economy. Thanks to a multidisciplinary, international team of academic staff in a vibrant teaching and learning ecosystem, undergraduate, masters and PhD programmes offered by our department combine speculative with applied research. Individual student talents and interests are nurtured, shaping strong and unique exit profiles capable of excelling in an increasingly competitive market.
All our department’s programmes are accredited by the internationally recognized Chartered Society of Designers, which is based in the UK.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Teach one design studio and taught module a semester including student academic mentoring
- Research through classic academic realm via research projects, innovations, and publication or via industrial/product design or digital fabrication practice. Publications at a level appropriate for the discipline and designation. Applications to external research funds
- Service to support the administrative side of the department, school and the university or extracurricular activities for students, staff, discipline.
- Complete PG Certification unless already holding one teaching certification or similar
- Participation in departmental activities and administrative life.
- Positions of administrative responsibility at departmental/cluster/school level.
- Typical split of teaching: research: service is 40:40:20.
Successful applicants to the position of Lecturer/Assistant Professor should possess:
- PhD in Industrial/Product Design with two years of teaching experience
- Master’s degree in industrial/Product Design with minimum of 2 years practice and education experience
- Fluent in English
Successful applicants to more senior ranks should also possess:
- PhD in Industrial/Product Design with a minimum of 7 years of academic experience and excellence in academic achievements
- Master’s degree in industrial/Product Design with minimum 10 years practices, including extensive senior executive experience equivalent of design Director and 2 years education experience
- Fluent in English
Members of Academic Staff receive generous subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, and medical insurance. A relocation allowance is provided. Non-Chinese passport holders may qualify for multi-year income tax “holidays”, depending on nationality and tax residency.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your application on university career website, the link is https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=2392&company=xjtlu. Applications must be submitted that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level, contact details for three References
- Teaching and or project portfolio (it is also acceptable as an additional attachment)
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email Head of Department, Dr. Massimo Imparato at Massimo.Imparato@xjtlu.edu.cn. Informal enquiries may be addressed to HRBP for Design School, Ms. Xinyun Yang at Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.