Lecturer, Conservation Science and Sustainability
- Melbourne Burwood Campus
- Full-time, fixed-term until 30 June 2024
- Level B $100,837-$119,266 p.a + 17% Superannuation
The School of Life and Environmental Sciences is the largest of four schools in the Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment and continues to grow its teaching and research programs. The school has close associations with a number of Deakin’s strategic research centres including the Centre for Integrative Ecology (CIE) and the Centre for Regional and Rural Futures (CeRRF).
As a Lecturer, you will be required to teach in the areas of conservation biology and landscape ecology at the Burwood Campus, and undertake collaborative research with a focus on conservation science and applied ecology, that delivers impacts for Deakin’s key stakeholders and partners, and is aligned with Deakin’s research strength and strategy.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Developing, promoting and applying innovative and effective teaching and learning practices.
- Making a contribution to the Faculty’s undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programs.
- Engaging in collaborative research projects with colleagues and postgraduate students in one of the School/Faculty’s areas of research strength where applicable.
- Contributing to organisational capacity building through participating and/or facilitating development programs relevant to evaluation and self-review of teaching and learning practice.
- Participating in the University's Performance Planning and Review program.
To be successful, you’ll have:
- PhD or or near completion in ecology, conservation science, sustainability or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated academic knowledge and expertise in the areas of conservation biology and landscape ecology or sustainability
- Demonstrated potential or ability to develop and administer assessment regimes and provide feedback that fosters independent learning.
- Knowledge of digital environments and the potential to teach effectively in a technology enhanced contemporary higher education environment.
- Demonstrable expertise in conservation science and/or applied ecology, addressing changes in biodiversity at species, ecosystem and/or landscape levels.
- Demonstrated ability to publish high quality research in reputed international journals.
- Capacity to apply for and secure competitive, external research funding.
Applications for this position close on Sunday 16th January 2022.
This role requires the incumbent to apply for and maintain a Working With Children Check (refer to Deakin’s Recruitment Procedure for further details).
Please submit your updated resume, responses to Key Selection Criteria (including the desirable criteria) and a short cover letter outlining your skills and experience for this role.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Lambert Brau, Deputy Head of School, at email@example.com
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.