Postdoc Position within Food Science
About the position
The postdoctoral fellowship position is a temporary position where the main goal is to qualify for work in senior academic positions.
The position is part of the ERA-NET Bluebio project: Preservation of underutilized fish biomasses for improved quality, stability and utilization.
The postdoctoral project's overall aim is to increase the knowledge on extraction of proteins and lipids from lumpfish. This will be focused on gelatin but will also include protein hydrolysates.
The appointment for this position has a duration of 2 years.
You will report to Professor Turid Rustad.
Duties of the position
- The candidate is expected to take active part in the project work actively
- The candidate will be specifically responsible for delivering project results related to extraction methods for proteins, including gelatin and how these affect the yield and properties
- The candidate is expected to actively disseminate results within the project, the scientific group, and to the society overall
- The candidate should take an active part of the Food Science research division at the Department of Biotechnology and Food Science
Required selection criteria
- You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD
- You must have a professionally relevant background in food science with a focus on seafood chemistry and processing
- Research experience within biochemistry and processing of seafood
- Applicants should have good communication skills and be fluent in English, both orally and in writing
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Practical analytical skills within analysis of seafood
- Experience with analysis and/or processing of seafood rest raw material
- Ability to be creative and take innovative in cross-disciplinary teams
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic in food processing and seafood science, with a keen interest in a wider context than own research
- Open-minded and interested in exploring new methodology in the research field
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 553 500 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 2 years
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's-, master's- and PhD degrees.
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 3 items)
- Name and address of three referees
- An up to one page personal motivation letter
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Turid Rustad, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters.
Please refer to the application number NV-141/21 when applying.
Application deadline: 01.02.2022
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Biotechnology and Food Science
Our activities contribute to increased exploitation of existing and new ingredients for sustainable food production as well as next-generation energy solutions and medical technology. We educate graduates for a wide range of careers in industry, public administration and academia. The Department of Biotechnology and Food Science is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Natural Sciences.
Deadline 1st February 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service NTNU Trondheim