e-Learning Visual Designer
About King’s Online
King’s Online was formed in 2015 and develops a range of fully online courses and programmes. Following the appointment of a new Director, the team is embarking on an ambitious growth strategy. You’ll be joining us at an exciting time, as we seek to redefine online education and realise King’s strategic ambition of being the leading provider of online and blended learning by 2029.
The role is primarily based at King’s Strand Campus, though you may be required to travel to other campuses on occasion. As part of King’s trial of hybrid working, all team members can work remotely for part of the week if they wish.
About the role
Our visual designers are a critical part of the team, taking the lead in creating visual elements such as graphics, illustrations, visualisation and animations based on storyboards produced by our instructional designers. They are creative, collaborative and adaptable individuals; together with the rest of our team, they build exceptional e-learning for our global audience of students.
They liaise with other members of the King’s Online team, as well as with senior academics and faculty staff, taking ownership over the visual elements and build of our work. With both technical and design expertise to back them up, they are able to advise on best practice in e-learning development to enhance our students learning experience. They also work proactively to find improvements to our workflows and product innovations.
Although supported by project managers and their line manager, they are ultimately responsible for managing their workload and balancing priorities across multiple projects.
We value the creativity of our visual designers and are eager to find new ways to streamline production and allow more opportunities to explore illustration, animation and more.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post
- Collaborating in the design and development of e-learning content, both with other members of the King’s Online team and with faculty staff.
- Executing accessible designs that support learning based on provided written material.
- Building and importing written and visual content in a web-based environment
- Storyboarding and creating animations.
- Performing technical and design QA on the work of colleagues.
- Taking responsibility for the visual design of e-learning programmes and developing new and more efficient ways to achieve exceptional results.
- You hold an undergraduate degree, as well as relevant industry-specific knowledge, skills and/or experience.
- You are creative, with a strong understanding of design principles and best practices and can share your specialist knowledge with others in a collaborative and creative way.
- You are self-motivated and enjoy working in a very collaborative environment.
- You take ownership over your work and are able to make decisions independently.
- You can easily manage your own time and prioritise tasks.
- You are proactive and can clearly communicate visual designs to others.
- You can lead relevant workstreams as required.
- You pride yourself on your strong attention to detail.
- You are comfortable working with technical products.
- You have excellent organisational skills.
- You thrive in busy environments.
- You enjoy working as part of a diverse and supportive team.
- You enjoy learning from and teaching your fellow teammates.
- You are able to provide support and training to others as required.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Digital graphic design skills, with particular reference to illustrations, infographics and animations.
- Able to interpret complex briefs in order to develop concepts visually.
- Excellent command of English.
- Knowledge of Interaction Design principles and experience in implementing interactive learning material.
- Knowledge of Learning Management Systems, Content Management Systems and similar online platforms.
- Strong understanding of accessibility principles and their application in e-learning development.
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Cloud suite
- Experience with Moodle or similar VLE
- Ability to learn and work with Trello, Slack and other tools.
- Some knowledge of web design principles as well as basic CSS and HTML is desirable
1. Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience.
2. Able to visualise complex concepts and information in a clear and visually appealing format.
3. Knowledge and understanding of visual design principles, and the ability to apply these to ongoing development.
4. Ability to transform storyboards and briefs into accessible written and visual designs.
5. Experience using a range of software tools to develop a final product.
6. Experience in image editing, graphical design, illustration or similar.
7. Well-developed verbal and written communication skills
8. Experience finding innovative and elegant solutions to problems using a logical approach.
9. Experience working both independently and collaboratively, and balancing competing priorities.
1. Knowledge of and experience with CSS, HTML and other web development technologies and related tools.
2. Working knowledge of Moodle LMS or similar virtual learning environment.
More searches like this
- Physical Sciences Professional Services jobs in London (Greater)
- Physical Sciences Administrative jobs in London (Greater)
- Physical Sciences Estates & Facilities jobs in London (Greater)
- Physical Sciences Finance & Procurement jobs in London (Greater)
- Physical Sciences Human Resources jobs in London (Greater)