Research Fellow, Biological Sciences
The Tan lab is looking for a post-doctoral candidate who will work with Assistant Professor Tan Yong Zi on biochemistry and structural biology under a project entitled Understanding the Structure and Function of Mammalian Membrane Proteins Involved in Human Diseases.
While membrane proteins only make up around 20% of the proteome, they constitute around 60% of drug targets. However, high resolution structural information is severely lacking for them, with only about 2% of the structures deposited in the public protein database (PDB) being annotated as membrane proteins. The Tan lab (www.tyzlab.com) strives to fill in this gap by targeting membrane proteins involved in human diseases such as cancer and diabetes. Our forte is using state-of-the-art single-particle cryogenic electron microscopy (cryo-EM) to obtain high-resolution atomic structures of these membrane proteins. We also actively work on methods development in cryo-EM that will help us answer our biological questions.
The Tan lab is generously funded by the NUS Presidential Young Professorship under the Department of Biological Sciences, NUS. We are a core member of the Centre for BioImaging Sciences' (CBIS), and have access to high-end cryo-EM microscopes, including a Titan Krios with K3 direct detector and energy filter.
- Lead structural projects from protein expression, protein purification, activity assay, cryo-EM imaging, data processing and model building
- Candidates must uphold values of scientific integrity, honesty, teamwork and pride in their work
- PhD in Biology/Biochemistry/Biophysics/Biotechnology or related field
- Experience with bacterial, insect and mammalian cell culture work is not essential but favoured
- Experience in protein purification experience is required
- Programming (such as Python) skills not essential but favoured
- Structural biology experience not essential but favoured
Interested candidates please contact Dr. Tan Yong Zi at email@example.com. Please provide a CV and names and contact of three referees.
PhD in Biology/Biochemistry/Biophysics/Biotechnology or related field
Location: [[Kent Ridge]]
Organization: [[National University of Singapore]]
Department : [[Biological Sciences]]
Employee Referral Eligible: [[No]]
Job requisition ID : 8313