Research Associate: AIMS@UWA Marine Data Scientist
1 day left
- Full Time
- Make positive strides in the research field of Marine Science Data
- Three-year fixed term full time role, with flexibility of work hours
- Salary range: Level A $72,780 - $97,946p.a plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
The UWA Oceans Institute brings together the University of Western Australia’s multidisciplinary research strengths across areas including oceanography, ecology, engineering, resource management and governance to address key ocean challenges. We work with local, state and federal governments, industry and business, research institutions and the community to help generate solutions towards the sustainable use of ocean resources.
The Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) is a leader in tropical marine science. Established in 1972, the Institute's primary function is research for sustainable use and protection of the marine environment. The Institute investigates topics from broad-scale ecology to microbiology. AIMS is committed to the protection and sustainable use of Australia’s marine resources. Its research programs support the management of tropical marine environments around the world, with a primary focus on the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area, the pristine Ningaloo Marine Park in Western Australia and northwest Australia.
The AIMS@UWA Alliance is a strategic partnership between UWA and AIMS. The Alliance aims to leverage the infrastructure and research strengths of both organisations to produce an internationally recognised cohort of tropical marine researchers in Western Australia.
About the opportunity
We are seeking a passionate and inquisitive individual to help us address research questions related to the marine environment.
As a Research Associate you will develop, test and apply novel data science techniques to marine data sets to help unravel complex nonlinear processes, rapidly identify environmental change across multiple scales and enhance ocean predictions. You will also have the opportunity to find new data sets in the field, laboratory or via remote sensing to aid in the development of new techniques or algorithms.
In this diverse role you will build relationships and collaborate with staff across UWA and AIMs, and promote your research projects via publications and presentations.
To be considered for this role, you will have:
- A PhD or working towards completion in Data Science, Machine Learning, Computer Science or related discipline
- High level competency in the intellectual discipline and practical application of data science methods, such as Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence, to marine or environmental applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work individually as well as part of a team
- A strong interest in mentoring postgraduate and undergraduate research students
- The ability to provide a bridge between discipline experts in data science and marine research
Occasional domestic and international travel may be required. Flexible work hours can be accommodated.
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description. Please see the position description prior to applying.
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria
Closing date: 11:55 pm AWST, Friday 21 January 2022
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Bronze Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2021).
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020.