Research Fellow in Algebraic Topoloy
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Science
Department/School: School of Mathematics and Statistics
Salary: $75,289 - $102,163 (Level A)
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 17% super
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
About School of Mathematics and Statistics
The University of Melbourne's School of Mathematics and Statistics is one of Australia's leading mathematics and statistics schools. It has achieved this status through the high quality of its research and teaching programs. The School offers a wide range of subjects to undergraduate and postgraduate students and is involved in aspects of community life that impact on the interests of the School and the discipline.
The School of Mathematics and Statistics has a total of 70 continuing teaching and/or research staff; 34 research only staff and consultants; 16 academic specialists and 16 support staff. The School has over 240 casual and honorary staff. In 2020, there were 90 Research Higher Degree and 278 Coursework Master of Science students. Five members of the School staff and one Emeritus Professor are members of the Academy of Science.
Infrastructure support for research and basic information technology facilities are provided to all members of the department. Special facilities such as high-end workstations and salaries for research fellows are supported through individual competitive external research grants. Members of the School have had considerable success at attracting support from the Australian Research Council. The school currently hosts two ARC Centres of Excellence, and has hosted four ARC Laureate Fellows, ten ARC Future Fellows and fourteen DECRA Fellows.
It is one of the objectives of the University to develop and maintain a strong international profile. In this context, members of the School have strong collaborative links with colleagues in the United States of States of America, most countries in Europe and the Asia-Pacific region.
About the Role
This Research Fellow will be expected to work closely with Dr. Marcy Robertson, on the Australian Research Council (ARC) funded research program into use of operads in low dimensional topology and algebraic geometry through its Future Fellowship scheme. While the research program is guided by a set of research questions, there will be considerable scope for this Research Fellow to develop their own ideas within a broader research agenda.
The successful candidate will preferably have experience relevant to algebraic topology, low dimensional topology, operads and related structures and/or quantum algebra. The Research Fellow will be part of Topology group https://topology.science.unimelb.edu.au/#tabmain.
You will have:
- Completion (or near completion) of a PhD in mathematics.
- A demonstrated aptitude for research, with a sound publication record in relevant areas, commensurate with experience and opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare research reports and manuscripts for publication
- Strong evidence of ability and desire to build an academic research career trajectory.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with relevant professional and industry bodies and stakeholders to foster collaborative partnerships.
- Excellent interpersonal and both written and oral communication skills in English
- Demonstrated excellent organisational skills to meet deadlines and bring projects to a timely completion
- Demonstrated ability to develop, administer and see through to completion appropriately designed research projects with limited supervision
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave options
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers.
Be Yourself @ UoM
We recognise that our employees are at the core of all our successes and achievements. We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. We promote inclusive behaviour, and we actively seek to learn from each other. Indigenous Australians are strongly encouraged to apply for our roles.
Please do not apply via the University website. Only applications submitted via MathJobs will be considered.
Position Description: 0054222_PD - Research Fellow in Algebraic Topology.pdf
Applications close: 25 Jan 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time