Research Fellow, Wellcome-Wolfson Institute for Experimental Medicine
Application closing date 10/12/2021
Salary £34,304 per annum
Job category/type Research
The School of Medicine, Dentistry & Biomedical Sciences (MDBS) at Queen’s University Belfast, is currently seeking a Research Fellow, to join a vibrant research team within the Wellcome-Wolfson Institute for Experimental Medicine (WWIEM) headed by Prof Lorcan McGarvey and Dr Fionnuala Lundy.
The position will assume responsibility for evaluating various environmental and/or endogenous stimuli on neuronal function using a range of in vitro laboratory techniques, including physiological, cell and molecular biological methods.
You will also design, develop and refine experimental apparatus or experiments and present regular progress reports on research to members of the group, or to external audiences to disseminate and publish research findings.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a team committed to research excellence in experimental medicine, by making scientific breakthroughs in disease mechanisms, with potential for translation to innovative therapeutics to improve patient outcomes.
The successful candidate must have and your CV/Cover letter should clearly demonstrate you have:
- Have or about to obtain* a PhD in cell biology, molecular biology, or a closely related area of biomedicine. (*must have submitted PhD thesis at the time of application.)
- At least 3-years recent, hands-on, postgraduate research experience in at least two of the following:
- Differentiation of dental pulp stem cells to a neuronal lineage
- Luciferin-luciferase assays
- Immunocytochemistry and immunohistochemistry of neuronal cells, with the capability of obtaining high quality images using wide-field and confocal microscopy.
- Recent postgraduate research experience in at least two of the following:
- FlexStation-3 calcium mobilisation assay, confocal calcium imaging and FluoVolt membrane depolarisation assay in bronchial epithelial cells and neurones differentiated from dental pulp stem cells.
- Confocal calcium imaging of neurones differentited from iPSCs.
- Prepartion of neuronal cells for RNAseq and interpretation of RNAseq results.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list.
Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing various staff networks such as iRise and PRISM which help us to progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as Stonewall Workplace Equality Index and Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena SWAN award. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/