Postdoctoral Fellowships, Department of Mathematical Sciences.
About the position
We have vacancies for two postdoctoral fellowships at the Department of Mathematical Sciences.
The postdoctoral fellowship position is a temporary position where the main goal is to qualify for work in senior academic positions.
The Department of Mathematical Sciences wants to support an excellent and highly motivated candidate within any of the Department's main research disciplines; please see https://www.ntnu.edu/imf/research/ for an overview.
You will report to Head of Department.
The work place will be in Trondheim.
Duties of the position
- Research work
- Dissemination of results
A successful Norwegian candidate is required to spend at least 6 months abroad.
Required selection criteria
- You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD.
- You must have a professionally relevant background in one of the research areas of the Department.
- PhD students in their last year are invited to apply; employment will then be postponed until the PhD degree is finished.
- The candidate must be fluent in English, both oral and written.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Preference will be given to candidates who have a strong potential to strengthen the current research areas, or can provide a bridge between the different research activities in the department.
- Knowledge of a Scandinavian language will be viewed positively due to the need for teaching assistance.
- Motivation for conducting research at an advanced level
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Good communication skills
- Motivation for teaching
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 553 500 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years with teaching and other duties of approximately 33 % of the total available time.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV including information about educational background, work experience, preprints and publications
- A short research plan written together with at least one of the permanent faculty members in the Department (maximum 3 pages)
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 5 works)
- Name and contact information of three references
- Summary of teaching experience, if any
- University diplomas and transcripts
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates. Strategic considerations may be taken in the final selection of candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Marte Andresen, telephone (+47) 73 59 17 40, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number 2021/59403 when applying.
Application deadline: 10.01.22.
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Mathematical Sciences
We are Norway’s largest university environment in mathematical sciences. The Department has a particular responsibility for all basis education in mathematical sciences for engineering and natural science students at NTNU. We focus on long-term basic research and applied research at a high international level.
Our aim is to meet the society’s needs for mathematical and statistical expertise in business and public administration as well as in the research and education sector. The Department of Mathematical Sciences is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Deadline 10th January 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service