Department: The World University Insights Ltd
Location: Red Lion Square, Holborn, London
Reporting to: Team Lead - Platform Services
The World University Insights Ltd, publisher of Times Higher Education (THE), is the data provider underpinning university excellence in every continent across the world. As the company behind the world’s most influential university ranking, and with almost five decades of experience as a source of analysis and insight on higher education, we have unparalleled expertise on the trends underpinning university performance globally. Our data and benchmarking tools are used by many of the world’s most prestigious universities to help them achieve their strategic goals.
For more information on Times Higher Education please visit https://www.timeshighereducation.com
THE has a lot of ambition to realise it’s potentials, we have grown over the recent years and are still growing our company, brand, user base and products. We are investing greatly into several areas, including technology; and we are creating new technical capabilities within our company that will power our current and future digital products.
This is the beginning of an exciting transformation to become the data and insights partner of choice to the World’s leading Universities. We now need the support of a talented Data Engineer to help us take our data processes and infrastructure to the next level.
In collaboration with our pre-existing Engineering, Product and Data Science teams, this role will be fundamental in the design and build of data pipelines to fuel our products. Initially, this individual will help to refine our data ingestion processes as we completely modernise some of our data pipelines; and should have a strong desire to share best practises and knowledge to both Data and Engineering teams as well as mentor a more-junior Data engineer.
In addition, we are looking to improve data governance and processes across all of our products and Data and Engineering teams, this role is both hand-on and strategic.
THE offer a comprehensive benefits package to all its permanent staff.
We have multiple product-orientated (vertical) teams within Engineering including: Data, Content, Student, Hiring Solutions and Platform Services who work as part of well-formed squads that include Product Managers, QA, UX/Design and Business Analysts. In addition, we have several strategic technology groups (horizontals) which are championed by senior engineers and subject matter experts, this allows them to build capabilities and drive technology to solve technical challenges across the business.
This is an exciting time for THE and our software development teams (Product, Engineering and Delivery) as we’re building our teams and reshaping how we work together to build a world leading team.
We’re looking for engineers who are excited by technology, who can give knowledge sharing sessions on various subjects, mentor others and who are interested in promoting an inclusive and collaborative culture.
We want our software delivery teams to be excited to come to work and passionate about what we can achieve as a company and our leadership team is committed to making this a reality.
- Experience architecting data solutions on modern Cloud Platforms (e.g. AI, Data Migrations, etc.).
- Experience in Spark (Scala/Python/Java) and Kafka.
- Hands on experience working with AWS Data Products (e.g. Glue, Athena, Redshift, Kinesis, Lake Formation, QuickSight, etc).
- Experience working in a client-facing / consulting environment to build trusted relationships with key stakeholders and act as a trusted adviser.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to apply analytical and creative thought process.
- Proven success in contributing to a multi-location team-oriented environment.
- Proven ability in delivering high-quality deliverables to tight timescales.
- Designing and building efficient, appropriate data models and pipelines
- Helping to improve technical architecture and documentation standards, governance, policies, processes, and procedures
- Assisting in scoping, estimation, and task planning for assigned projects
- Following project work plans to meet functionality requirements, project objectives, and timelines
- Develop a long-term vision and roadmap of how to advance data infrastructure and analytics to the next level, exploring new technologies as appropriate
- You will be responsible for implementing processes to cleanse and standardize data in readiness for use for analytical and operational purposes
- Work with cross functional teams (Product, Data, Finance, Technologies) in the pursuit of building best in class data infrastructure
- Apply quality control, data validation, and cleansing processes to new and existing data sources
- Promote data driven analysis and analytics within the company and act as a Subject Matter Expert on data infrastructure
- Supporting the sourcing and ingestion of data from multiple sources into the Enterprise Data Platform that supports Data Lake and traditional data environments
- You will work closely alongside THE’s technology teams to ensure data is managed, stored, curated and secured according to required standards, particularly collaborating with the Data Architect to define and build the required data models
- Working with multiple stakeholders from within and outside THE to shape, prepare and provide connected data to downstream business processes and functions
- You will support the development and testing of any required APIs for the integration of data between systems and suppliers
- You will identify ways to improve data coverage, quality, and efficiency
The World University Insights Ltd relies on the flexibility of its staff to ensure the continuity of the high standards and performance, as such this job description is only intended to be a guide to the most regularly performed duties, it does not form part of the contract of employment and is subject to amendment and change as may be considered.