As part of the Campus Operations team, the Facilities Assistants are responsible for preparing centrally timetabled rooms, carrying out post room services, portering, logistics and deliveries to site, storekeeping, helpdesk job request monitoring and confidential waste disposal. In addition, the Facilities Assistants contribute to the effective management and overall delivery of soft services across the campus and support the hire of college facilities for non-educational use, i.e., event set ups and general support to the Venues team. The Facilities Assistant must always demonstrate a clear understanding of workplace Health and Safety. As well as this, Facilities Assistants must also demonstrate a clear commitment to the delivery of high-quality customer service and facilities putting the student experience first throughout the whole customer journey. The working hours are 35 hours per week and covers a five day in seven rota with shifts between the hours of 08:00 and 22:00.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a /full-time post
• To deal with general enquiries for information from staff, students, and visitors
• To build professional, supportive, and friendly relationships with all staff, students and visitors
• To ensure all duties are delivered in a timely and effective manner in line with all Service Level Agreements, and to deliver consistent, quality services to all customers
• To complete on time all allocated reactive tasks (often with tight turnaround times) and to close on the CAFM system, making appropriate comments as required
• To lay out furniture in centrally timetabled rooms and other public spaces in a timely manner, ensuring correct furniture, signage, cleanliness, and the reporting of any maintenance requirements
• To support the set- up and delivery of college commercial activity, especially VIP events.
• To help manage and facilitate the delivery of goods, including their receipt, movement, and delivery to their appropriate location, ensure all paperwork is completed accurately and legibly.
• To move and store furniture as required
• To undertake the delivery of internal and external mail to specified areas ensuring appropriate records and signatures are obtained
• To receive, record, sort and frank outgoing mail and perform mail room duties in a timely manner
• To assist with monitoring access to buildings and college sites, challenging and reporting to Security any suspicious persons
• To actively look out for and suggest energy saving and money saving opportunities to senior management staff, and to suggest initiatives to constantly improve the customer experience at King’s
• To turn off any unnecessary lights and other sources of energy waste
• To ensure that the campus grounds are always in a well-presented state
• To assist with some minor gardening works (watering of troughs)
• To carry out general moving of goods, furniture, equipment, and waste as required throughout the site
• To assist in an initial response to any situations that place any College building at risk
• To cover for absences of colleagues
• To be aware of relevant college policies, practices and procedures and ensure that all relevant Health & Safety regulations are always complied with
• Such other duties as may be reasonably required to allow the department to function flexibly in providing the best possible service to our clients.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge and experience
1. Educated to GCSE standard or equivalent, including grades A-C in Math and English
2. Excellent communication skills
3. Good command of the English Language
4. Ability to follow written/oral instruction
5. Willing to train on a computerized system
6. Experience of working in a busy customer-orientated environment
7. A good communicator with good interpersonal skills
8. Hard working and reliable
1. Good understanding of the needs of students
2. Experience of working in the higher education sector generally
3. Full UK driving license
4. Experience of working as a porter in a university environment
5. Experience of working with students
6. I.T literate