Assistant or Associate Professor in Chemistry
Assistant or Associate Professor in Chemistry
School of General Education
The beautiful and culturally progressive State of Qatar is home to the world-class higher education institution, College of the North Atlantic – Qatar (CNAQ). Established in 2002 to meet the ambitious and visionary goals of the State of Qatar, CNAQ is now in a transition to becoming a national university – University of Doha for Science and Technology – with the aim of educating graduates qualified to fill the State’s needs in occupational fields in business and management, computing and information technology, engineering, and health sciences. Currently CNA-Q enrolls approximately 5,000 students across 20 undergraduate and postgraduate programs https://www.cna-qatar.com/programs.
The School of General Education provides a range of core courses common to all students of the College, in subject areas that support the academic structure of the undergraduate programs. The General Education Curriculum is designed around courses in mathematics, natural sciences, research methods, English communication, social sciences, humanities and the arts, aimed at developing students’ understanding of fundamental scientific concepts and their applications.
To enhance its curriculum in Chemistry and applied interdisciplinary learning and teaching, the School of General Education invites applications for the position of Assistant or Associate Professor in Chemistry, starting in July 2022 (earlier academic year start date due to the FIFA World Cup hosted by Qatar in Nov-Dec 2022).
Reporting to the Department Chair of Sciences, you will plan, develop, and deliver courses in Chemistry, such as General Chemistry I and II, Organic Chemistry, Health Sciences Chemistry, as well as specific higher level Chemistry courses to support new programs of the institution and the School. You will evaluate student progress and manage the resources of the learning environment. In the framework of cross-school collaboration initiatives, you will participate in industry advisory committees and coordinate, manage and control projects within the specified program area. You will keep course portfolio documents required for program review and accreditation processes and engage in instructional development as well as new program development. Applications from research-active faculty are strongly encouraged.
- A PhD in Chemistry or a related applied field, from a recognized institution;
- A minimum of 3 years of teaching experience in higher education, adult training or industry training environment;
- Industrial experience as a practitioner/professional within the relevant discipline is welcome.
Candidates should also demonstrate how they meet the following criteria:
- Contribution to the advancement of knowledge through applied research, scholarship, publications, knowledge transfer or professional practice which would be expected to be international in its scope;
- Contribution to the advancement of learning through leadership in teaching and curriculum development;
- Professional recognition and standing amongst peers;
- Academic subject leadership or academic management.
Other Required Skills:
- Commitment to applied and experiential learning as a pedagogy and a key feature of the institution’s mandate;
- Ability to design, develop, deliver, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessments, incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in course and program student learning outcomes;
- Digital literacy and demonstrated fluency in technology systems; ability to model and facilitate use of current and emerging digital tools to support research and learning;
- Demonstrated ability to develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable students to be active participants in their own learning;
- Commitment to the effectiveness, vitality, and self-renewal of the teaching profession through self-driven continuous professional development and life-long learning;
- Effective oral and written communication skills in the English language;
- Collaborative and collegial spirit and a demonstrated ability to establish rapport with learners, colleagues, sponsor-employers, and members of the community;
- Ability to initiate applied research projects.
How to Apply:
You must meet all essential qualifications in order to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed. Some essential and other qualifications will be assessed through your application, which may include (but need not be limited to) curricula vitae, cover letters, references, teaching dossiers, and sample publications. It is your responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how you meet each requirement. Applicants must apply online: https://careers.cna-qatar.com/
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.