Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Senior Associate Professor
Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Senior Associate Professor, School of Cultural Technology
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University Entrepreneur College (Taicang)
15th November 2021
23150 – 49319 RMB/Month depends on qualifications and experience.
14th January 2022
Full-Time for an initial 3 years, renewable.
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Areas include Cultural technology. entertainment technology, innovative entrepreneurship, immersive design and media production, image design, interactive design and Media or game production, AR/VR, and sound and audio design.
School of Cultural Technology OVERVIEW:
The School of Cultural Technology is one of 7 industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus), and there is the capacity to grow further within the college to a total of 10 schools. Common to each School is an Education, Research and Development Institute (“ERDI”) for teaching and university-business research collaboration, a professional services centre supporting daily activities of students, staff, and business partners, and a School Affiliated Company, which has been jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s founding industry partner for practical on-the-job learning and teaching. The governance and management of the School is through a School Council. The Dean of School oversees the School Management Team as well as contributing to the leadership of the Taicang campus.
The first degree programme that the School has launched for the Academic Year 2019/2020 is BA Arts, Technology and Entertainment with Contemporary Entrepreneurialism. The School is currently developing a two-year master degree programme, building on the success of its initial degree programme.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
We are looking for future colleagues from candidates in all the fields of entertainment technology, immersive design and media production, image design, interactive design and Media or game production, AR/VR, entertainment technology, innovative entrepreneurship, events and project management, digital media arts, sound and audio, camera and lighting, and post-production editing who can:
- Engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches,
- Understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative spirit, in line with the ethos of the campus and college,
- Deliver high-quality teaching to undergraduate and graduate students, as evidenced for example by peers, students, external examiners and industry advisors,
- Advise and supervise undergraduate students and postgraduate students,
- Conduct high-quality industry-oriented research on the discipline, as shown by a number of outputs, including, but not exclusively, publications in leading journals,
- Provide professional service to the School, the College, the University and its stakeholders.
For senior positions, candidates should be able to additionally:
- Contribute to leadership in the School’s business engagement initiatives through building adequate enterprise and innovation resources within campus
- Build extensive industry and cultural networks and partnerships
- Contribute to teaching and research development through mentoring and supporting early career academics
- Contribute significantly to establishing the School as a centre of Cultural Technology research excellence
- Work collaboratively across campus and wider university to ensure an inclusive, enriching and enabling entrepreneurial learning experience within the field of Cultural Technology
The School of Cultural Technology is adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a new model that has been developed by the University to address future challenges from the 4th Industrial Revolution and is a core part of the University’s strategy for the next ten-year development that stresses innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims at training syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspective, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
The position seeks individuals who will echo these values and are passionate about undergraduate and graduate student engagement. The School seeks members who can model the excitement of engagement, discovery, and creativity and who are committed to education as an integrated and transformational process.
- A PhD or MFA (Master of Fine Arts) degree in digital arts, innovative entrepreneurship, interactive media or game design, animation, immersive media and sound, AR/VR/XR, media production, or be able to demonstrate an equivalent level of professional practice and engagement.
- Self-motivated for innovative teaching, with knowledge of relevant developments in learning and teaching practices.
- Capacity for delivering high quality, effective teaching in English.
- Strong team-work spirit.
- For practice-based candidates, familiarity some of the fields of entertainment technology, immersive design and media production, image design, interactive design and Media or game production, AR/VR, entertainment technology, innovative entrepreneurship, events and project management, digital media arts, sound and audio, camera and lighting, and post-production editing, as used in an educational setting.
For senior positions, candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- A track record of academic and/or industry achievement in a relevant context
- An understanding and delivery of innovative learning, teaching and assessment/measurement practice in an innovative environment
- Demonstrable experience of building strong relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders
- A good track record of engagement with business and industry.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Some experience of engagement with industry.
- Appropriate research experience for the corresponding academic position.
- Experience with professional knowledge and skills of technology related hardware and software in the field of entertainment.
- For non-Chinese applicants, two years, full time, same subject teaching in a college/university is required by the Chinese work permit policy.
For senior positions, candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- Evidence of being an institutional builder, who can work with the wider disciplines across the Taicang campus.
- The ability to motivate and inspire a range of colleagues and stakeholders to understand and be involved in the work of the School of Cultural Technology, the Academy of Film and Creative Technology, the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) and wider university.
- Evidence of seeking innovative solutions with the imagination and creativity to inspire the next generation of entre/intra preneurs.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit your applications online
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter specifying your suitability for the role
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
For further information and an informal discussion, please contact Professor Stuart Perrin via Stuart.Perrin@xjtlu.edu.cn
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resource Office.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.