Full Professor, School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
Full Professor，School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University Entrepreneur College (Taicang)
17th November 2021
50039 – 55358 RMB/Month depends on qualifications and experience.
14th January 2022
Full-Time for an initial 3 years, renewable.
Academic Disciplines: Mechanical, manufacturing, advanced/intelligent manufacturing, mechatronics, electrical and electronics, controls, materials, or robotics engineering; industrial/engineering management, internet of things, artificial intelligence, data science and analytics
School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem overview:
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem is one of the seven industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang). Each School consists of an Education, Research and Development Institute (ERDI) for teaching and research collaboration, a one-stop School Office providing professional services to support student administration and activities, members of staff, and industry partners, and an affiliated School Joint-Venture Company jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s partner for industry-embedded teaching, learning, practical, and other activities. The school is one of seven industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus), and there is the capacity to grow further within the college to a total of 10 schools. Common to each School is an Education, Research and Development Institute (“ERDI”) for teaching and university-business research collaboration, a professional services centre supporting daily activities of students, staff, and business partners, and a School Affiliated Company, which has been jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s industry partner for practical on-the-job learning and teaching. The governance and management of the School is through a School Council. The Dean of School oversees the School Management Team as well as contributing to the leadership of the Taicang campus.
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem is jointly developed by the University and an industry partner, Haier Group, to deliver the industry-themed programme(s). The first-degree programme that the School has launched for the Academic Year 2019/2020 is BEng Intelligent Manufacturing Engineering with Contemporary Entrepreneurship.
Haier Group is a leading global provider of better-life solutions. In the process of continuous entrepreneurial innovation, Haier has transformed from a traditional manufacturing enterprise into a win-win IoT community ecology, leading global companies to take the lead in detonating the Internet of Things economy. For more information, please see http://www.haier.net/en/.
The postholder will be a senior academic member in the School. The Professor reports to the Dean of School and supports the School Management Team through the provision of creative leadership in the implementation of the University’s teaching and learning policies/strategies. The Professor also provides leadership in the effective and strategic management of teaching and learning, research and industry engagement activities within the School. The Professor leads, monitors and seeks to enhance the School’s teaching and learning, research and industry engagement portfolio. Through their leadership, the Professor will ensure that the School meets its ambitious targets by creating an intellectually stimulating and vibrant environment in which its students and staff can flourish.
The broad dimensions of the post are to:
- Lead and grow the research and academic profile of the School’s subject area in collaboration with the School’s industrial partners.
- Provide leadership and vision for the future direction and development of the School’s research and the provision of research-led teaching in the School.
- Shape the School’s research strategy, drive high-quality research, and support entrepreneurial-focused teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Take on leadership, management, and external engagement activities to support the School.
- Be a strong advocate for the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) nationally and internationally.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work collaboratively with the Dean of School and School Management Team to:
- Contribute to the design, development, implementation, and ongoing monitoring of the School’s teaching and learning, research, industry partnerships, engagement, and innovation strategies.
- Contribute to the School’s business engagement initiatives with a view to building an extensive portfolio of potential industry collaborative partnerships.
- Contribute to the delivery of an effective programme of continuous development for academic members of staff to ensure they are equipped and supported to deliver high quality teaching and student experience, excel in their research, and contribute effectively to the School, College, and University.
- Identify and implement strategies to maximise grant capture and research income, from both external funding bodies and business/industry.
- Contribute to the creation and support of a healthy research environment, with agreed annual research outcomes and expectations, an emphasis on impact and funded quality research and innovation and/or knowledge exchange activities.
- Contribute to the management of investment funds which have been agreed by the Dean of School, Associate Principal, Principal or XJTLU’s Associate Vice President Research, for Research and Innovation.
- Contribute to the development of School and organisational strategy by providing expertise and perform horizon scanning for the development of new opportunities at home and abroad.
- Contribute to the University and College initiatives such as liaising with industrial partnerships, mentoring and supporting early career academics, and undertake reasonable administrative responsibilities.
- Work collaboratively with Programme Director(s), academic members of staff, and School Office to:
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery and development of appropriate undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes to the required standards expected by the ministry, university academic regulatory framework, and where necessary, appropriate professional, statutory and regulatory bodies.
- Contribute to best practice in relation to innovative assessment design across the School, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of appropriate assessment and feedback to meet the needs of all stakeholders.
- Ensure that the school and curriculum design delivers an inclusive, enriching, and enabling learning experience, as evidenced through student satisfaction, personal development and positive degree outcomes, and to work with industry partners to achieve this.
- Contribute to the continuous development and improvement of the VLE and technology-enhanced teaching to enable and support academic staff’s engagement in approaches that promote student-led learning and supports student success.
- Work collaboratively with relevant School(s), College and University entities to identify opportunities for meaningful and genuine partnership and successful impact-creation for research.
- Maintain a sustained a record of successful PhD supervision.
- Demonstrate evidence of good, sustained, and successful leadership of research grants and consultancy contracts.
- Conduct high-quality research, evidenced by publications in leading journals.
- Create, develop and manage successful research partnerships with academic institutions, industry and external organisations.
- Support innovative cross-disciplinary research and become an ambassador for the School for the promotion of cross-boundary research and teaching activities.
- Engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches; understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative mindset in line with College ethos.
- Deliver high-quality teaching to undergraduate and graduate students, as evidenced for example by peers, students and external examiners.
- Supervise undergraduate students and postgraduate students.
- Represent the Dean of School where necessary, within the College, University and externally as appropriate.
- Any other appropriate tasks assigned by the University SMT, School Council or Taicang Leadership Team through the Dean of School.
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem is adopting a new higher education model based upon the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a new model developed by the University to address an increasingly networked and complex future of work in the 4th Industrial Revolution. The model is core to the University’s strategy for its next ten-year development focusing on innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims to train syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspective, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
The position will attract senior academics embodying these SE values and are passionate in engaging in a future-focused co-learning ecosystem comprising students, academics, practitioners, university, industry, and community. The School seeks academic members who thrive by creating impact through authentic engagement, cross-boundary collaboration, collective learning and discovery, and action-oriented inquiries. These creative educators adopt a systems mindset and use their knowledge, skills, and experiences to co-design and deliver an enriching educational experience for students. They view education as an integrative and life-long transformative process.
The candidate should have the:
- Ability to proactively seek and respond to issues with flexible, effective and, where appropriate, innovative solutions.
- Ability to prioritise, take and implement decisions to achieve agreed objectives.
- Ability to contribute to the strategic development of the University.
- Ability to lead and develop academic staff and mentorship skills with the ability to coach colleagues.
- The ability to interact effectively with a range of stakeholders, including staff at all levels, students, and external organisations by possessing highly developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Candidates must be a Ph.D. holder in mechanical, manufacturing, advanced/intelligent manufacturing, mechatronics, electrical and electronics, controls, materials, or robotics engineering; industrial/engineering management, internet of things, artificial intelligence, data science and analytics or a closely aligned discipline, or be able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement.
- Candidates must be willing/able to actively engage with new educational models such as Syntegrative Education (SE).
- Candidates shall become familiar with and observe Chinese and UK rules and regulations of higher education.
- Candidates shall have outstanding leadership and management experience, and ability to motivate and inspire teams with good people skills.
- Candidates must have a national/international reputation and demonstrate impacts in any of the research and innovation fields relevant to the School. Candidates are expected to have a good sense of the technology trends and relevant research experience on industrial projects. Candidates should have the experience to cooperate with industrial partners to develop R&D projects.
- Candidates must have rich experience in teaching, research, academic leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship, strategic planning and financial management in a university and/or business environment.
- First class networking skills and an ability to build and nurture external contacts and partnerships, working with business other organisations in the area of innovation and business support to the benefit of the school.
- Excellent organisational, implementation and monitoring skills to deliver successful outcomes.
- Candidates must demonstrate a good track record of engagement with students and industry.
- Candidates must have a high level of communicative competence in English; an equivalent knowledge of Chinese would be an advantage.
- Candidates with administration and management experience in international universities or Sino-foreign joint universities are preferred.
- Some experience of working in a relevant industry would be an advantage.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations：
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your applications online
Applications must be submitted in PDF that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter (up to one A4 page) summarising your suitability for the role
- A research and industry engagement statement (up to four A4 pages) articulating your main achievements to date, as well as outlining the programme of research you intend to follow for the next few years
- A teaching statement (up to 2 A4 pages)
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
For further information and an informal discussion, please contact Professor Eng Hwa Yap, Dean of School by email on EngHwa.Yap@xjtlu.edu.cn
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resource Office through our HR Business Partner, Ms Yiting Xu at Yiting.Xu@xjtlu.edu.cn
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.