Lecturer in Interactive Audio
Lecturer in Interactive Audio - Permanent - Full Time
Build your academic career in Interactive Audio with Edinburgh Napier University
With over 70 academics, 1400 students, professional accreditation from the British Computer Society and some of the most impressive computing lab facilities in a UK university, the School of Computing is highly regarded and one of the UK's largest computing departments at the heart of Scotland's inspiring capital.
This new vacancy has been created to support the expansion of our undergraduate and postgraduate teaching portfolio to meet the increasing demand for skilled graduates and postgraduates. You’ll actively contribute to our existing BSc (Hons) Sound Design, and MSc Sound Design degrees across levels 7 - 11. Students study interactive audio for a wide variety of fields such as video games, MR, UI, IoT and HRI, which you would be responsible for developing and teaching. We have a dedicated 24 seat iMac based Sound Design teaching space, as well as a 28.4 channel auralisation suite for staff to conduct listening experiments.
We’re looking for someone who can demonstrate enthusiasm for working with industry in applied research and in the development of teaching to enhance the employability of our graduates. There is plenty of scope for research collaboration within the University, with current areas involving audio for linear media, video games, XR, HRI and Autism support, amongst others. A main focus for Sound Design teaching and research within the School is the natural integration and seamless customisation of audio within user interfaces as well as for media reproduction. Interactive audio is an essential part of this ongoing process.
We are looking for a Lecturer in Interactive Audio who is:
- Passionate about student-centred learning and developing industry-ready graduates.
- Excited about developing their research and esteem through externally funded projects and industry partnerships.
- Willing to develop their personal area of expertise to complement and augment our team.
As an early career academic joining us as a lecturer you will be a member of our Centre for Interaction Design with:
- A research allowance of 30% of your time to build your research.
- Access to our staff development budget for travel to conferences and to establish collaborations.
- Extensive research training and development through our Research, Innovation and Enterprise Office (RIE).
- You’ll also study towards a Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning leading to Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
- Support for grant applications from colleagues in the school and the university.
- Join a PhD student supervisory team.
Applicants must demonstrate:
- A doctoral level qualification in the relevant discipline.
- Evidence of a professional academic and research profile alongside a commitment to sustained continuous professional/academic development.
- Evidence of a teaching specialisation.
- A level of achievement appropriate to the post being applied for, including international/ national standing, a developing research track record of high-quality outputs, external income generation, and academic leadership
For more information about this exciting opportunity please click here to view the role profile.
Salary: Grade 6, GBP 40,927 - GBP 50,296 per annum
Further information about our benefits can be found here.
Application Closing Date: 10th December 2021
Edinburgh Napier is committed to creating an environment where everyone feels proud, confident, challenged and supported and are holders of Disability Confident, Carer Positive and Stonewall Diversity Champion status.
For information see here.