Research Fellow, Centre for Public Health
Application closing date 06/12/2021
Salary £34,304 - £36,382 per annum
Job category/type Research
The School of Medicine, Dentistry & Biomedical Sciences (MDBS) at Queen’s University, Belfast is currently seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to the post of Research Fellow in Centre for Public Health. This exciting position will allow the successful candidate to join a collaborative project between the Centre for Public Health, Queen’s University Belfast and the Transport, Health and Urban Design Research Hub, University of Melbourne.
The aim of this project is to generate new evidence related to the intersection of urban design and health, understanding and estimating the improvements in non-communicable diseases (NCD) and health inequalities in UK and Australian cities that can be achieved through tangible alteration in urban design. It also aims to place new tools in the hands of urban designers, planners and the broader public so they can advocate and act on their recommendations.
The successful candidate must have and your CV/Cover letter (or application form) should clearly demonstrate you have:
- Have, or about to obtain, a PhD in public health, epidemiology, computer science, biostatistics, engineering, or a related area.
- At least 3 years relevant research experience.
- Strong track record in the application of a range of statistical and computing approaches, relevant research experience, involving a range of statistical and computational approaches relevant to the interrogation of large population-based and spatial datasets.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct key tasks for the development and completion of research projects, such as ethics approval, data collection, preparation of data analysis plan, and data analysis and reporting.
- Demonstrated skills in using at least one statistical and or spatial analysis package (e.g., Python, R, Stata, QGIS, ArcGIS) and capacity and willingness to learn others.
- Research publications commensurate with career stage.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list. For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria please click on the Candidate Information link below.
This is a fixed term contract available until 14 May 2023
Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
Queen’s University is committed to creating and sustaining a culture that is inclusive at all levels. Through its policies and procedures it displays its commitment to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from all sections of society. All appointments will be made on merit.
We are committed to ensure our workplace is a safe, welcoming and inclusive place to work.
More details on all our networks can be found at: https://www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/
Informal enquires may be directed to: Selin Akaraci - S.Akaraci@qub.ac.uk